VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well here's the deal.
    I'm trying to backup a concert DVD to a double layer DVDR. The concert is spread across 2 VTSs (don't know why).
    I ran it through different programs (such as DVDDecrypter, DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Shrink, etc) to get rid of what I'm about to show you, but nothing works. All the layer breaks are still there. Take a look:

So then when I try to build the image with ImgBurn, this is what I get.
    Which layer break position should I choose? What should I do, in general?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click on any of them any preview it. That will show you what the least intrusive layer break will look like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm assuming that you want to make an exact 1:1 backup. If you rip the DVD to an ISO (image) file, rather than VOB's, you'll retain the original layer break and eliminate the need to build one with ImgBurn. When you rip to VOB (file mode) you lose the original layer break and then have to choose one when burning, the way you're doing it now is just adding another unnecessary step.

DVD Fab HD Decrypter/DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink (you're preference) > ISO (image file) > ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tomcar,

Are you familiar with the saying..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Your project is presently sitting smack in the middle of downtown hell. The road that got you there was paved with good intentions, but was going in the wrong direction.

Those aren't layer breaks, they're just cells that are marked for seamless playback so a player will know how to work with them. The real layer break was removed by the drive as the dvd was being read.

Which layer break position should I choose?
    None of them. With the seamless playback flags all messed up, ImgBurn has an incorrect idea of what it's working with. Even if the resulting disk did work, it's going to confuse the heck out of a player trying to make sense of it.

What should I do, in general?
    Start over again. Re-rip the original, and put the resulting rip into ImgBurn. When you get to that point, if you would like some assistance with choosing a layer break, post another picture of what ImgBurn is offering, and I'll be happy to help you choose a layer break.

Leave those seamless playback flags alone.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bbanderic
    I'm assuming that you want to make an exact 1:1 backup. If you rip the DVD to an ISO (image) file, rather than VOB's, you'll retain the original layer break and eliminate the need to build one with ImgBurn. When you rip to VOB (file mode) you lose the original layer break and then have to choose one when burning, the way you're doing it now is just adding another unnecessary step.

DVD Fab HD Decrypter/DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink (you're preference) > ISO (image file) > ImgBurn.
    This is incorrect.
    If you use DVDDecrypter you can use an ISO and the MDS created,the MDS file contains the layer break info which ImgBurn needs.
    If you use DVDFab then you need to output a DVD folder then use ImgBurn in build mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by bbanderic
    I'm assuming that you want to make an exact 1:1 backup. If you rip the DVD to an ISO (image) file, rather than VOB's, you'll retain the original layer break and eliminate the need to build one with ImgBurn. When you rip to VOB (file mode) you lose the original layer break and then have to choose one when burning, the way you're doing it now is just adding another unnecessary step.

This is incorrect.
    If you use DVDDecrypter you can use an ISO and the MDS created,the MDS file contains the layer break info which ImgBurn needs.
    If you use DVDFab then you need to output a DVD folder then use ImgBurn in build mode.
    I stand corrected, partially, I use DVD Decrypter 99.9% of the time, mostly older DVD's. You're correct, you must create the MDS file when ripping w/ DVD Decrypter and choose it when burning with ImgBurn as it contains the layer break info. I think the MDS file creation is set by default in DVD Decrypter, if not, simply click the "create MDS file" box in the "ISO read mode" settings tab.

Sounds like it would be a good idea for DVD Fab to add the MDS feature to future updates .

So...DVD Decrypter > ISO (image) and MDS file > ImgBurn (choose the MDS)
    Quote Quote