VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey. I'm new here.
    But, I downloaded the quicktime.vdplugin for virtualdub:
    (http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin)
    And now I can open and edit .mp4 videos.

Now I just need help with saving them as mp4.
    Audio codec: mp4a
    Video codec: avc1

EDIT: Now I just need help with MP4 Muxer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, but you could save as avi h264(using the x264 vfw) and then make an mp4 from it(using mp4creator).

But if you just are just cutting the mp4 use something else like avidemux or yamb and it wont reconvert the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How would I do that?
    And would those other softwares work with the deshaker filter?
    Because that's my objective. Deshaker with mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need the vfw version of x264 to use in vdub, maybe Baldrick can fix the hotlink because the x264vfw currently points to x264cli

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

Virtualdub doesn't support .mp4 container, only .avi. If you want .mp4 , you have to use an external program like yamb (mp4box) or mp4muxer to re-wrap it once you're done re-encoding in vdub
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK, I downloaded the VFW x264 codec.
    Now how do I make VirtualDub save with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Select x264 as the compression codec. Video -> Compression... x264
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your sure there is no way to save as MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mino
    Your sure there is no way to save as MP4?
    not with vdub, at least not directly. 100% certain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Vdub ONLY does AVI. And that's not likely to change anytime in the foreseeable future. (Although, I sure would hope that it changes sometime, just for future-proofing sake)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Save as AVI from VirtualDub, remux into MP4 with AviDemux? Or just use AviDemux to make the MP4 directly if you don't need filters only available for VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Does avidemux support the deshaker filter?
    Or does any other mp4 compatible software?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    maybe Baldrick can fix the hotlink because the x264vfw currently points to x264cli
    and the x264 vfw...if you just check under other downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    maybe Baldrick can fix the hotlink because the x264vfw currently points to x264cli
    and the x264 vfw...if you just check under other downloads.
    I think x264vfw should have its own entry. Many people get confused by this.

If you want to use x264vfw and later remux into another container, be sure not to use the VirtualDub hack option (VD Hack) in the x264vfw encoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mino
    Does avidemux support the deshaker filter?
    Or does any other mp4 compatible software?
    Are you even certain you want "MP4".....or did someone tell
    you that by mistake? Do you want a Divx, Xvid file that is often
    commonly called an MP4 file also? Divx, Xvid files will have .AVI at
    the end of them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H.264 in AVI is an abomination according to the freaks and for maybe good reason - you will lose a few of its features, like B-frames and multiple reference frames, due to the fact that AVI wasn't designed for them.

However, despite what the religious fanatics will tell you regarding this, there is nothing wrong with using a VFW version of x264 and AVI (since VDub only does AVI) as long as you remux into a more suitable container for it after the encode (such as to MP4/MKV/etc).

This transfer, I confirmed with some good friends at the DivX forums, is lossless and will restore/release the benefits that were confined within the AVI.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR
    H.264 in AVI is an abomination according to the freaks and for maybe good reason - you will lose a few of its features, like B-frames and multiple reference frames, due to the fact that AVI wasn't designed for them.

However, despite what the religious fanatics will tell you regarding this, there is nothing wrong with using a VFW version of x264 and AVI (since VDub only does AVI) as long as you remux into a more suitable container for it after the encode (such as to MP4/MKV/etc).

This transfer, I confirmed with some good friends at the DivX forums, is lossless and will restore/release the benefits that were confined within the AVI.
    Thanks bro.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You can use b-frames and multiple reference frames in x264vfw AVI.

The problem with x264 in AVI isn't so much the AVI container but Microsoft's VFW library which many programs use to access AVI files. VFW is base on a one-frame-in-one-frame-out model (read one frame of video from the AVI file, decompress it, pass it to the editor/player, move on to the next frame) so backwards prediction requires kludges. That pisses off programmers who then complain that AVI is an abomination.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Would rewrapping the x264 .avi file into a .mp4 container result in any video quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by mino
    Would rewrapping the x264 .avi file into a .mp4 container result in any video quality loss?
    No. You're just taking video out of one box and putting it in another.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I need some help with MP4 Muxer.
    I have an .AVI file.
    H264 video codec.
    PCM audio codec.

I have no idea how to use this program!
    Help, please!
    Quote Quote  
  21. I don't think pcm wav audio is supported in .mp4 container. (You could use mkv and mkvtoolnix, but you never mentioned why you need .mp4 container)

Normally you would add the files and push multiplex

Your format from your 1st post should work
    Audio codec: mp4a
    Video codec: avc1
    Quote Quote  
  22. How do I save the file from virtualdub with audio that will work with the remux?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by mino
    Yeah this is weird. How do I save the .AVI file with audio that will work with the remux?
    I don't understand your question. I'm pretty sure PCM WAV is not a supported format for the .mp4 container (mpeg-4 part 14), so either you convert the audio or use a different container

So you might use mp3 audio in vdub (there are no acm aac encoders, so you can't use aac if you limit yourself to vdub)

If your h.264 content is progressive, you can do it all in avidemux in 1 step (put into .mp4 container and convert to aac audio or mp3 audio)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Compress the audio with a format supported by the MP4 container. MP3, AAC, etc.
    Quote Quote