VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love this program, but is it the best? I have used a lot of these programs to copy movies. Most of them don't even work on copy protected movies, which sort of defeats the whole purpose. Until I came across DVDfab a couple years ago. Are there any others that come close? I always choose the Main Movie option, to save a little space. I don't compress after I copy. All of my rips are 100% in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's the best for free. I use AnyDVD (~$85US), mostly for BD discs, but it works for DVDs also. But if I didn't need BD decryption to back up my BDs, I'd still use fab. Fab>Shrink>ImgBurn is still a great combination for DVD backups.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know whether it is significant but when you rip DVD9's with DvdFab, a layer break that remains not set when ripped with DvdDecrypter for instance, will be set yes and therefore, when furning with ImgBurn, that layer break that was blue (very good) becomes yellow (good) or grey (average).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't noticed any "layer breaks" in my DVD9 collection. Like I said, all of my movies are Main only. So majority of them are DVD5.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jason
    I love this program, but is it the best?
    No.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's easy to use, updated frequently, unlike most.
    What else can top that?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    It's the best for free. I use AnyDVD (~$85US), mostly for BD discs, but it works for DVDs also. But if I didn't need BD decryption to back up my BDs, I'd still use fab. Fab>Shrink>ImgBurn is still a great combination for DVD backups.
    Good news my friend, DVDfab just released a new version today.

May 15, 2009
    DVDFab 6.0.1.0 Updated!

New: DVDFab 6 is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    New: DVDFab 6 consists of several feature options: "DVD to DVD", "Blu-ray to Blu-ray", "DVD to Mobile", "File to Mobile" and "File Mover".
    New: DVDFab "DVD to DVD" was previously DVDFab Platinum.
    New: Updated user interface.
    New: Updated language files.
    DVDFab "DVD to DVD":
    Fix: A PathPlayer problem that playable content be removed in certain cases.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    No.
    This answer reminds me a longish joke involving Microsoft. The punchline involves a guy figuring out he's dealing with Microsoft because they gave him an answer to a question that while factually correct, was absolutely useless in terms of solving the original problem. Kind of pathetic actually.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it should be made clear that DVDFab (~$50US and does rip BD and DVD) and the DVDFab HD Decrypter (FREE and DVD ripping only) that I was referring to are two different programs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I like AnyDVD because it's the only thing I have to update. It allows me to use a lot of tools without update.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RayH
    Personally, I like AnyDVD because it's the only thing I have to update. It allows me to use a lot of tools without update.
    Mmmmk.....
    And the only thing to update is dvdfab, once it's ripped and the copy protection is removed you also can use a lot of other tool's 8)
    And they don't rape you with the free version, hell, they don't rape you with the pay version
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The bluray ripping costs an extra $70 for a two year subscription if you already own dvdfab,and it doesnt deal with BD+.I call that rape.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    RipIt4Me/DVD Shrink still works 95% of the time, otherwise DVDfab is a good free ripping option. Occasionally it leaves a glitch at the start of movies, so I run FixVTS before burning with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    No.
    This answer reminds me a longish joke involving Microsoft. The punchline involves a guy figuring out he's dealing with Microsoft because they gave him an answer to a question that while factually correct, was absolutely useless in terms of solving the original problem. Kind of pathetic actually.
    jman, you've been here long enough to know "best" means your opinion, and as you said, i answered the question correctly... so why does it have to be pathetic? just because i didn't offer my opinion? there was no problem to be solved. there was a question and i offered the correct answer.
    ..in my opinion, DVDDecrypter is STILL the best ripper.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried AnyDVD & CloneDVD, they are both crap compared to DVDfab.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't speak for AnyDVD or CloneDVD, but I use DVDFab and that works for me..
    That said, I agree DVDDecrypter is " Still" one of the best..IMO, of course..
    To each their own...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using it since DVDfab 2, and that was years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My toolkit is ANYDVDHD, BDINFO (find main BD title) TSMUXER (BD ripping,remuxing if needed), MEGUI (transode/de-int DVD/BD) , avisynth (needed for megui...) clonedvd and dvd shrink (clone dvd to fix structure, shrink to put fix out into 4GB vob...), eac3to (Bluray chapter making and sup ripping), and ChapterXtractor (dvd chaps), vobsub (dvdsubs), imgburn (gotta make a disc sometime , right?), mplayer homecinema (GPU playback of my mkv's) and last but not least mkvtools. never had a problem as long as i keep my kit updated (6 years and running....) so hope this helps. Some good software IS worth paying for (cough anydvdHD)
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just don't like how you have to use AnyDVD, then CloneDVD. CloneDVD should be like DVDfab where it gets rid of copy protection. Which is the main reason why I stick with DVDfab.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not True in my experience. Ripped a DVD, with the new version 6, and it did not perform well. I removed Director's comments, but they still remained. Use AnyDVD with CloneDVD and it was perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had that problem with DVDfab. When choosing the Main Movie option, the only way to get the Director's comments is to check the box. If any are available. Since I choose the main movie only, I've never had a problem there.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by redwudz
    Actually AnyDVD HD for Blu-ray/DVD rips is $106 U.S. (two years), $147 (Lifetime). Still cheaper than the new DVD Fab with Blu-ray/DVD ripping, $130 (two years), $181 (lifetime). Or, you can get DVD Fab 6 with JUST the Blu-ray ripping for $73 (2 years), and $105 (lifetime)...for DVD rips just use the free combo listed below...so long as Fab still offers DVDFab HD Decrypter . Fab is offering a 20% discount off the prices I just listed. I have an ever growing collection of Blu-ray discs but I'm not BD ripping/hardware capable, waiting till I get my new PC next year, but if I were I'd go with AnyDVD HD as it's proven to work very well while DVD Fab 6 isn't yet, at least for Blu-ray. Both are still too expensive I think, but...

Since I'm still dealing with DVD, the free combo of DVDFab HD Decrypter > Shrink > ImgBurn works perfectly, no need to pay for DVD ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might test AnyDVD & CloneDVD tomorrow. Even though it's more time consuming, I'll try it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I got AnyDVD HD before the price went up, with a lifetime subscription and a discount, ~$85US. But it does the job and hasn't failed me yet. What I like about it is that it just runs in the background and whatever disc you put in your drive, it's decrypted and ready to go. Shrink will open the disc just like it has no encryption.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jason said:
    <<I might test AnyDVD & CloneDVD tomorrow. Even though it's more time consuming, I'll try it.>>

I don't think ANYDVD + CloneDVD takes longer. In fact it seems faster to me. You don't have to wait, as you do, in DVDFab to check the disk, as it goes through a couple of cycles. By then, I am already coding in ANYDVD + CloneDVD. In addition, ANYDVD can handle the more difficult situations according to my experience. Certain DVDs would give me problems in DVDFab and not in CloneDVD + ANYDVD. I use them both, but use CloneDVD + ANYDVD for the tough stuff.
    I can use DVD Shrink with ANYDVD also.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How is the speed in CloneDVD? I think DVDfab has slowed down in the previous versions. I ripped a movie today and it was pretty slow.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz-
    I do the same thing, the only time I preprocess with clone-dvd is when somtimes shrink will leave out sections of the movie (dont ask...) so i have to 'repair' the structure with clonedvd then path it to shrink to get a good source (sometime clondvd forgets to logially remap is all)
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems people are half & half when talking about DVDfab vs. AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remember one important thing-ANYDVD updates frequently and keeps up with changes better than DVDFAB. Using it with CloneDVD or DVD Shrink is a good thing. If DVDFAB has a problem with a particular DVD, you will wait longer for the fix than with ANYDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab usually updates frequently. This year it went from Jan to April without an update, which was pretty long.
    Quote Quote