VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I normally use Subtitle Creator to convert srt to sub/idx, but I have an avi with srt that the subtitles for some reason are off by a few seconds at the end of the movie when converted to sub/idx using Subtitle Creator. The original avi srt subtitles are in sync. In Subtitle Creator I choose Ntsc because Gspot showed 24 something framerate. Then I tried the software txt2vobsub to convert the srt to sub/idx and that worked. The sub/idx subtitles were in sync. However, I don't like that when one subtitle line is shown, the vertical position is higher--on the first line. (When 2 lines are shown, the position is correct.) So I would like to know if there is another software I can try to convert srt to sub/idx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Subtitle Workshop ? I'm not sure if it supports IDX/SUB format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you wish/need to have full control and no limitations,
    the best approach is:

--- convert .srt to .ssa ;

--- convert .ssa to .son with MaestroSBT ;

--- convert .son to .sub with Son2VobSub.

Txt2VobSub works, but it still needs the obsolete codepage nonsense,
    and cannot go beyond two lines of text per picture.

\\\\\\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Midzuki
    If you wish/need to have full control and no limitations,
    the best approach is:

--- convert .srt to .ssa ;

--- convert .ssa to .son with MaestroSBT ;

--- convert .son to .sub with Son2VobSub.
    You know, I was seriously thinking about posting with that exact same method. Then I figured it wasn't exactly what jimdagys had in mind, as he wants something easy and 1-click. Plus, you or I or someone else would then have to teach him how to use MaestroSBT.

What I'd like to know is why it's so important to have the subs in IDX/SUB format. And even if for some good reason they have to be in that format, more important, I think, would be to figure out why the timings get messed up in the SRT->VobSub conversion and then fix it. My guess is that he's not doing it right. For example, this:
    Originally Posted by jimdagys
    In Subtitle Creator I choose Ntsc because Gspot showed 24 something framerate.
    doesn't really inspire much confidence in me that he knows what he's doing. But I don't use SubtitleCreator for such things, so what do I know?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Subtitle Creator under "Format" allows you to only choose pal or ntsc. I just remember Gspot for this particular avi said 24 something framerate, so I chose ntsc in Subtitle Creator. Choosing the wrong standard (pal/ntsc) in Subtitle Creator in my mind certainly shouldn't cause the subtitles to get off by only a few seconds by the end of the movie. I think if I choose the wrong standard (pal/ntsc) in Subtitle Creator, this will cause the subtitle position to be incorrect, or cause the subtitles to be off by several minutes.
    As far as why I want sub/idx, that is because these avis are shown on a computer with large screen TV. For technology reasons, they must be on one cd (not dvd) and I want the subtitles to appear bigger and brighter without the movie operator to make even 1 click on the computer (necessary) or change any parameter in the computer. With sub/idx, I can easily increase subtitle size by changing some numbers in the idx and also easily change subtitle color with Subtitle Creator (and when playing with Media Player Classic and some other software players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimdagys
    Subtitle Creator under "Format" allows you to only choose pal or ntsc. I just remember Gspot for this particular avi said 24 something framerate, so I chose ntsc in Subtitle Creator. Choosing the wrong standard (pal/ntsc) in Subtitle Creator in my mind certainly shouldn't cause the subtitles to get off by only a few seconds by the end of the movie.
    PAL is 25 fps. NTSC is 23.976 fps or 29.97 fps.

25 vs 23.976 fps would cause a ~1.6 minute sync error by the end of a 90 minute movie. 25 vs 29.97 would be about 18 minute error at the end of a 90 minute movie.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jimdagys
    I want the subtitles to appear bigger and brighter without the movie operator to make even 1 click on the computer (necessary) or change any parameter in the computer.
    Then why not use the SSA (or ASS) format? Using those, the size, position, font, and other variables can be set and the player you mentioned (as well as most others) will honor the settings. In addition, I'd almost be willing to bet you won't have that out-of-synch problem.
    [I think if I choose the wrong standard (pal/ntsc) in Subtitle Creator, this will cause the subtitle position to be incorrect, or cause the subtitles to be off by several minutes.
    I don't. The position may change, but that can be easily fixed in the IDX or in VobSub Configure by adjusting the vertical position. And they'll become larger, I think. But the timings should stay the same. There's nothing in an SRT to indicate PAL or NTSC. Did you try once setting it for PAL? I think that the problem is due to drop_frame/non drop_frame timing, and is probably a bug in SubtitleCreator, unless there's somewhere you can set the drop_frame type. It would make the subs off by about 7 seconds by the end of a 2 hour movie. If, by the end (of a 2 hour movie), they're 7 seconds early (as I suspect), then in the framerate synchronization section of SubtitleCreator you want to convert those IDX/SUB files from 30.00->29.97. If, by the end they're playing 7 seconds late, then 29.97->30.00.

So they don't have to be IDX/SUB, just some format in which you can set the styles. If you go the SSA route, an SRT can be instantly converted to SSA using SubResynch (included with VobSub). I use SubStation Alpha to set the Styles. Once set up the way you like (font, size, outline, color, position, etc), just opening and then saving them will make them the way you like. I think Aegisub and other programs can do the same but, as I said, I use SubStation Alpha.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If, by the end (of a 2 hour movie), they're 7 seconds early (as I suspect), then in the framerate synchronization section of SubtitleCreator you want to convert those IDX/SUB files from 30.00->29.97. If, by the end they're playing 7 seconds late, then 29.97->30.00.
    I'll play around with framerate synchronization if I run into this problem again. I don't want to mess around with different kinds of subtitle formats (besides srt and sub/idx). The sub/idx thing works well and is common.
    Quote Quote