VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have to capture a lot of mini DV tapes on my pc and and dump them onto an external drive
    so that my client can edit them on his Mac. He will be using iMovie ( doesn't have final cut )

Can iMovie accept AVI files ?

If not do I have to convert everything to.mov files

PS The mac is running the latest OS

thanks
    Scott
    Why is an intelligent man's vote, worth the same as an idiot's vote in a democratic election system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .avi files might make him mad......

Capture the footage raw as DV Stream files, onto the external HD,
    then give him the external HD.
    iMovie will import the raw DV Stream files in just fine.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quick tip for your client:

Once he has the HD attached to his Mac, have him start up iMovie, create a new project, save it, and then quit iMovie. In the Finder, right-click on the newly created iMovie file and "show contents". Open up the "media" folder and dump the DV files into there. Close everything and double-click the iMovie file. When iMovie launchs and opens the file, it will find the new DV footage and pop up a dialog asking whether you'd like to trash the files or view them. View them and drag them into the bin. That takes care of the "import" phase. It's much, much faster than the File>Import... method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beammeup
    Hi,

I have to capture a lot of mini DV tapes on my pc and and dump them onto an external drive
    so that my client can edit them on his Mac. He will be using iMovie ( doesn't have final cut )

Can iMovie accept AVI files ?

If not do I have to convert everything to.mov files

PS The mac is running the latest OS

thanks
    Scott
    If he has Quicktime Pro installed, he can convert DV-AVI (PC format) to *.DV (Mac format) then import into iMovie.

There is no quality loss.

Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    Quick tip for your client:

Once he has the HD attached to his Mac, have him start up iMovie, create a new project, save it, and then quit iMovie. In the Finder, right-click on the newly created iMovie file and "show contents". Open up the "media" folder and dump the DV files into there. Close everything and double-click the iMovie file. When iMovie launchs and opens the file, it will find the new DV footage and pop up a dialog asking whether you'd like to trash the files or view them. View them and drag them into the bin. That takes care of the "import" phase. It's much, much faster than the File>Import... method.
    Wow I need to try this next weekend. Do you need to have Quicktime Pro installed?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everything I advised may be done with a "box-stock" iMovieHD (v6) installation. Newer Macs shipped with a version of iMovie that, frankly, sucks. If you need the v6 version, PM me and I'll send you the link where you may download it. Note Apple permits this download -if- you already have one of the newer versions installed. The v6 app checks whether one of the newer versions is already installed and, if so, proceeds with the installation (without removing the newer versions of the app). The newer versions are designed more for MP4 editing of AVC footage (like you'd get from a camcorder that uses SDHC media).

QuickTime Pro lets QT Player do things it normally isn't permitted to do - see the menus in the non-pro-enabled app - but it doesn't enable the automatic transcoding of foreign footage (like AVI or XviD, etc.); you'll need Perian for that (and its free).

Am I helping or confusing things?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got Tiger and iMovie8 on a Core2Duo and Leopard plus iMovie8 and iMovie HD. I'll be back on the Mac Sunday.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote