VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys.
    I recently built my computer. I went from Windows XP in my old PC to VISTA 64 bit in my new i7. But I kept the same EPSON scanner and HP printer.

My question:
    I used to scan a DVD cover then print the same image out.....without changing any settings. But with VISTA when I do this the image of the DVD cover prints out much too large. How do I scale it down to fit the DVD case?

Thanks guys. You are all sweet.

miss orfa
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is just a guess, but . . .

Chances are the Vista drivers for your scanner or printer or both have different default DPI settings from the corresponding XP drivers. Typical DPI values are 72, 200, and 300. If your scanner is set for 300 DPI and your printer assumes 200 DPI, the printed image will be 50% larger than the original.

I can't tell you how to find and change the DPI defaults withou knowing a lot more about what specific drivers your computer is using, but if you go into the Control Panel modules for the devices and look around, you can probably work it out. It doesn't really matter what DPI they're using, as long as they're both using the same value.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can scan the cover in any DPI you want. Print the covers with Undercover XP.
    http://undercoverxp.tk/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The software used to print is the culprit. I use Photoshop, what are you using?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Windows Photo Gallery.

I have Adobe Photoshop. Is this better for this purpose? How do I manipulate the DVD cover size so it fits in the DVD case size? Could you walk with me thru how it is done, please.

Thank you

orfa
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Printing a DVD cover with Photoshop is like swatting a fly with a chainsaw....completely un-necessary overkill.
    Have you tried UndercoverXP?....it's free.
    The program resizes for you to the exact size you need....as long as aspect ratio is remotely close to the original...it does it perfectly....and it says it is Vista capable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a program that lets you say "print using original size"

That will take the DPI and the pixels and figure out what it was when you scanned.

Most "photo" software doesn't do that because cameras don't do DPI (how big is that tree?).

Irfanview (free, fast and small) will do it for you. It has an "original size" choice. I use it for quick and dirty prints like that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could also select file - page setup within the program that you are using to make changes.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote