VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry if i have put this in wrong category.

I have a lot of HD-movies in mkv, made from Blu-Ray. And I have also many DVDs.

I want convert audio from some of the animated DVDs, so my daughter can watch the movies in our own language.

But for all the movies, the runtime is different from DVD to mkv. I guess they are the same versions of the movie? For some of the movies the difference is several minutes (up to ten). As I said, I don't understand this, because the versions of the movies should be the same.

The DVDs are PAL 25 fps.

Any suggestions?

I did a search, but couldn't find any hints.

thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are often different versions of the same movie (ie: theatrical cut or directors cut). Even with the same version of a movie, the run time in releases in different regions are often different. When you start comparing PC files, the run time can often sometimes vary from player to player.

In other words, there likely isn't anything wrong.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blue Ray movies are almost always 24fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Yes, but that should not have any effect on the runtime?

Is it possible to rip the DVD-audio and then sync it with the mkv's (even with the different runtime up to several minutes)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Find out the lengths of the audio & video and shrink/stretch the video or audio to match. If the target is mkv, you can use mkvmerge to choose to affect just the audio or just the video without re-encoding. Have a look at this thread, you may have to play with the ratios:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/mkv-25fps-to-23-976fps-tried-and-failed-help-t367485.html

As mentioned above, if the theatrical cuts are different, you might as well give up
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use the "PAL Slowdown" option in EAC3to, then add it to the MKV in tsMuxeR. Start and finish frames have to be identical though. There's often a load of studio splash screens at the start of the recording before the main feature begins. These can vary from one release to the next.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    speed will indeed create an issue with run time...

24fps film will have a longer run time then 25fps it you do the maths, in one second given the same amount of frames, one extra frame per second gets past the shutter so to speak...over the film length this will make the difference..

Coming from 25fps part of the world, if I have access to both one can normally pick up a pitch change in the audio caused by the speed up when
    converting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gustav32
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Yes, but that should not have any effect on the runtime?

Is it possible to rip the DVD-audio and then sync it with the mkv's (even with the different runtime up to several minutes)?
    Yes, you are right it doesn't matter if there are 5 frames per second or 5000 frames per second, a second is still a second xD
    However, to get from 24fps source to 25fps target, films are simply sped-up, and therefore films in PAL will be shorter than the original.

Compressed audio is not a good source to start, quality would be bad, and overall it's an impractical thing to do.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio is stetched not compressed...the reason for the pitch change...be it so slight.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by levick
    The audio is stetched not compressed...the reason for the pitch change...be it so slight.
    *sigh* a DVD audiotrack is compressed, as in AC3/mpeg/DTS encoded
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by raffie
    Originally Posted by levick
    *sigh* a DVD audiotrack is compressed, as in AC3/mpeg/DTS encoded
    I'm sure he meant compressed as in speeding up 30 minutes of audio to play in 29 minutes, vs stretched as in slowing down 30 minutes of audio to play in 31 minutes.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've just read this thread and for clarification:
    Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
    Most Blu-rays are in 23,976fps, only some are in 24fps.

Concerning the different runtime between Blu-rays and DVDs you can use this simple converter tool: http://www.paradiso-design.net/index_en.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. And the runtime includes the studio logo, the distributor logo, etc. at the start and end of the movie. That can vary between different releases.
    Quote Quote  
  14. "Most Blu-rays are in 23,976fps, only some are in 24fps."

That's one hellava typo for United States viewers.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 24th Jun 2011 at 16:03. Reason: Added: United States viewers
    Quote Quote  
  15. Many countries around the world use commas instead of a period as the decimal point.
    Quote Quote