VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What what result in better quality? Ripping from Blu-Ray source to x264 .mkv file, or ripping from DVD to xvid .avi file? Output is aimed at 700mb in both cases. Blu-ray and x264 are fo course way more modern but i'm concerned about the fact that your're ripping from a large filesize to only 700mb.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Generally, the better the source the better your results will be. The difference will be small if you're talking about resizing both down to 640xWhatever.

x264 will do significantly better at 700 MB per movie than xvid if you encode with the same frame size, frame rate, etc.

But why trust what anyone else says? Just run the tests yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I trust it when it comes from people with experience such as yourself.

My main concern is that at 700mb a blu-ray is greatly compressed when coming from an original filesize of 25+GB (Dont know the actual size of a blu-ray, cause i dont own one, it's more of a theoretical question)

While DVDs are 4.38-8.5GB and carry the older mpeg-2, cutting down to 700mb mpeg4 is not much of a compression really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003
    What what result in better quality? Ripping from Blu-Ray source to x264 .mkv file, or ripping from DVD to xvid .avi file? Output is aimed at 700mb in both cases. Blu-ray and x264 are fo course way more modern but i'm concerned about the fact that your're ripping from a large filesize to only 700mb.
    It almost seems as though you are answering yourself.

That is the main concern. If you are going from DVD to 700MB, that's fine because the quality loss isn't that great. With Blu-ray, I wouldn't recommend going less than 2GB (I actually never dip below 4GB). The loss of quality compressing it that much is very significant. I've seen the results, and they tend to just look like very decent DVD conversions. You wouldn't know that the source was HD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh yeah i forgot to mention that the rsult will be a 700mb but with standard reslution of course. I'm not talking of a 700mb 1080p or 720p mkv but an mkv with a resolution near DVD, like 640 width (Standard definition).

So my question is will a 700mb file coming from a blu-ray beat a 700mb xvid coming from xvid when we're talking of the encoded results having identical bitrates and resolution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I addressed that. It wouldn't be worth the ripping and conversion time to do BR. The compression and loss of quality is so significant that you're better off sticking to DVD.
    Quote Quote