VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the problem where my recorder kept "preparing" the discs and ruining them. From searching around on the internet, I thought I needed a new drive. I purchased a Liteon 411 (used-- since they are no longer made), plugged the new drive in with the two connectors in the back (the ribbon one and power source connector), and now all I get on the DVD player is "hello". It won't go to the main screen or anything. Did I not install the new drive properly, do I have a bad replacement drive, or is the problem bigger than that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You usually cannot just change over parts in these devices. You usually need to gain service access, often with a specific service remote or codes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi emyly7, fortunately the R04 can easily accept certain IDE drives without having to do any service menu access. This thread is for replacement drives for the Liteon 5005 and is applicable to the R04 as it is a dumbdown/rebadged version of the 5005. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/

When the ILO R04 sticks on Hello it's because it's not recognizing the drive, if the jumper is set on Slave or not set at all, a bad connection, bad cable, the drive won't be recognize. The 411 if operational, will work, make sure that the jumper is set on Master.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure the cable is connected corectly
    The red stripe is toward the rear of the mainboard
    and towards the power connector on the drive

PS
    gunslinger is not correct as to the liteon/ilo units and for or many of the liteon clones
    tje drive it self might be bad
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for everyone's posts. It was set on "slave". When I switched it to master, I got the menus screen and everything else. However, my new drive is having difficulties "finalizing" the discs (it will prepare the discs and record seemingly without issue). I think I possibly might have a less than stellar replacement drive, but if anyone has any other solutions to offer your help would be much appreciated. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might need to upgrade the firmware in the replacement drive.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try that this evening. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Many reports of defective DVD loader in its LiteOn, Ilo recorders. Common cause is the failure of the laser unit.

Before going to look after a nearly viable replacement loader can also make the faulty laser unit exchanged.

A little basic knowledge of electronics and a little tact can easily implement.

Times have here a link where you e.g. OPU, the loader from DDW-4xx can relate. This loader is the SF-DB10 installed.

The loader DDW-8xx is the OPU SF-DB11 installed. Both units are interconnected kompatiebel nich!

Here is the link for the SF-DB10! http://www.cdlens.com/?item=5739

The procurement of an SF-DB11 OPU design but difficult ..

MfG
    Quote Quote  
  9. Welle72

To clarify
    Do You feel the loader shown in the link given will replace the one in the original DDW drive and leave intact ALL functions with just minor change in electronics and connections.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

There are no changes of any kind is necessary. The laser unit is depicted in the DDW-installed loaders, and just needs to be replaced. ...Plug and Play....
    There are no matching or similar work is needed. Only an ESD protection in the form of a Lörbrücke after the installation must be removed.

In this way, the original loader to use with full functionality.

MfG
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... how to change a laser can also be extensively on the Internet after reading ...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently replaced the drive on my DVDR04 with a Sony AD-7200A I purchased from Newegg. So far everything works except erasing a RW.

***Update*** the Sony drive won't record. It plays just fine but no recording.
    Quote Quote