VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to convert from DVCPROHD to a codec and container that is compatible with most systems. The clips are 1280x1024 with video bitrate of 93 mbit/s and audio bitrate of 1137 kb/s. I feel ffmpeg is the tool for the job as so far it is the only encoder/decoder (that I've found so far) that can decode DVCPROHD. But I have a few questions:

1. What is the most compatible video/audio codec/container combination? High bitrates aren't a problem.

2. I really don't care about compression, I want as lossless a conversion as possible. Is there a practical bitrate limit to lossless(ness)?

3. I seem to have trouble with ffmpeg audio bitrates. Any encoding above 128k removes the audio. Ideas?

(4) If any has worked with DVCPROHD you'll know that there are 4 streams: 1 video, 2 audio, and 1 data. Any recommendations on the best way to consolidate the audio? and is the data stream necessary?

Thanks a lot!

Harrison
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For what purpose ? Editing ? Viewing ?

Compatibility covers a lot of ground. It means having the right codecs to play the files back, it means having a format that does not require huge amounts of processing power to decode and display, and it may also mean using a lower resolution to allow for slower or lower resolution displays.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm converting the clips for a colleague. I'm pretty sure he is going to use them in an HD documentary that he is editing. His software apparently isn't the most modern so he asked for the clips in a relatively compatible format. I do know that his hardware is generally top of the line so processing power isn't really a problem.
    Quote Quote