VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried to transfer my first recordings from my Canon HV20 to my Mac G5....I have all Canon camera's, a Flip video recorder and several other devices that all are recognized but the camcorder does not register with the Mac. I installed the software that came with it but during the installation I kept getting that the software was already installed. I am assuming that is because of all the other canon products I have. I also went to the Canon site to make sure I got the latest and greatest driver/software and downloaded that, still, no recognition. I am using the USB cable that came with the camera and it works with the other Canon's. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks...AMD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to use the Firewire cable to transfer video. The HV20 can be set to transfer as 480i DV or 1080i HDV. See the manual for menu settings.

Do you have iMovie8 or iMovie9? Both capture either format.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So that's not the USB then? I checked it out and it didn't come with the camera...I guess I will just go and pick one up at a camera store?

And yes...I do have IMOVIE and it's 6.03...

Once I get the firewire. Can I just capture using the regular software that came with the camcorder?

AMD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anne-Marie
    So that's not the USB then? I checked it out and it didn't come with the camera...I guess I will just go and pick one up at a camera store?

And yes...I do have IMOVIE and it's 6.03...

Once I get the firewire. Can I just capture using the regular software that came with the camcorder?

AMD
    A Firewire cable should cost between $3 and $15 depending where you buy.

I've never used the software that comes with the HV20. It should work.

iMovie 6.0.3 should do fine for 480i DV. 1080i HDV is supposed to work. If not, upgrade to iMovie HD, or v8 or v9.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

edDV....You are a rockstar...thanks so much..I am a new Mom of Triplets and I have early, early videos on the camera and I was so bummed when I couldn't get them transferred.

I really appreciate your help...AMD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anne-Marie, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

I'll also move this post to our Mac Forum. (Better for Mac specific questions in the future.)

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote