VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new noob to the AVCHD world so please excuse me. I was just hoping for some advice. Here is my situation. I just purchased a Canon HF100 and a HF200. I'm going to record a dance recital with both cameras, edit the footage in Vegas, then burn to standard 4.7GB DVD-R. I've read Soopafresh's guide and am still pretty confused. What is the best way to do this? Should I edit the .mts files directly in Vegas then convert with the dvd architecht templates within Vegas? Or convert the .mts files to something else first befor editing since the final product will be SD DVD? I'm looking for a good balance between final quality, speed, and ease of use.

What would you guys do? What would your workflow be?

Any advice on programs and settings would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

My system is a 8200 Quad Core running at 2.8 GHz with 4 Gigs DDR2 1066 RAM. Dual boot to win xp 32bit or xp 64bit. I also have both versions of Vegas (32 and 64 bit)
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can do it directly in Vegas, then Architect or any other authoring program to author - that would be the simplest way. I don't see any reason for an intermediate file for your goals (e.g. you're not doing any heavy pre-processing or filtering, your PC specs should be fine, and you can leave it interlaced for DVD)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks poinsondeathray!
    Anyone else have a different opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  4. How Is vegas working for you? I'm using Avid media composer to edit my footage. (MTS file from a Sony camera)

I have a question of my own as well.

I am shooting on a 1080i camera @50fps full hd. (I would like to convert the HD footage to SD for DVD playback)
    I am currently converting the footage with TMPGEnc 4. My settings are as follows:
    Filters used - Always Deinterlace (double framerate), and Simple interpolation. My output settings on DNxHD video codec are 720p @ 59.94fps 220 - 8 bit. I am converting to progressive. (It seems to be clearer than interlace) I'm keeping video size at 1920x1080.

I find I am getting very slight ghosting on movement. I have tried different setup combinations, but I don't see much difference.

Are there better set ups I can use? I don't really know what all the settings will do in TMPGnec 4.0.
    What are my best option for using deinterlace, and interpolation?
    I would like to keep the picture as clear as possible to use on a SD DVD player.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote