VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a PC for my wife. She has a 3.0GHz Northwood CPU and I'm having no end of trouble getting the original heatsink/fan in Australia, she wants the genuine Intel heatsink with the thermal pad on the base. She did manage to find one in the USA on eBay but had problems trying to organise postage downunder. I have seen many genuine Intel socket 775 with the copper core which has prompted me to seek some advise. The 775 chip looks to be a little larger than the 478 ..however.. can it be fitted to the 478 CPU ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not generally recommended, also, once you're out of warranty, why insist on the original heatsink and fan?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a zalman hsf which is still sold today for socket 478 cpu's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gday mate,

Have a look around for places that repair/upgrade computers. I have found that sometimes they will have parts going cheap if they are 2nd hand, they do not always advertise it but it never hurts to ask.

James.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gday again,

Finishes at midnight and only to 2.66GHz cpu but genuine (this company also has listing lasting a few more days)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-Socket-478-CPU-Fan-Heatsink-Cooler-9_W0QQitemZ22040723763...3A1%7C294%3A50

All the genuine coolers I have seen only list the 2.66GHz speed as the limit, there are several available in shops in the US that are genuine but at a higher price and may not deliver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G'day Jim,

Thanks for taking time out to find that link .... she also found it and inquired if it had the thermal matter on the base and NO, it doesn't. She does not want to use Artic Silver 5 as I have suggested, she wants the real McCoy and no doubt, she will eventually find one.

Many thanks to the other members who responded, appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. New lower temp cpu will be cheaper and (much) faster than that old WarHorse...(Cpu not wife) but of course might require new M/b.. some real cheap CPU/mobos around (proper two cores as well)...It might cost MORE to re-fit an old PC than to buy a complete new base unit, and it will have Gtee and new CPU. If they do it in Pink she will be delighted, surely?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FINALLY, we found a genuine Intel heatsink with a copper core for socket 478, no more problems. We have been together for 51 years and I am still treated like a king, so getting a heatsink that makes her happy is really not a big deal.

Many thanks to all, appreciated.
    Quote Quote