VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

It has been awhile since visiting this forum...In the mean time I used my new program - Avid Media Composer 2.8.4 - to finish a 2nd video project.

I experienced some trouble exporting the project in the right format, but achieved exporting it in the end als a QuickTime Reference (.mov). A lot of people advised to do that, in order to get good quality!

In a later stadium I would like to transfer this format on a DVD, so we can distribute them through the villages here.

For now, I would like to also be able to play this format on different platforms, such as WMP.
    I read on the internet that I had to download a codec for this, called 3ivx, which I did.

After installing this, and starting up my computer again, it would still not read my .mov file.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong? Different opinions on how to proceed?

Thanks for any input in this matter!
    Quote Quote  
  2. open the file with mediainfo and post the information back here

mov is a container and can contain many different formats. It might be as simple as installing quicktime alternative, but to be sure you need to identify what codec was used for video & audio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Might be too much info, but here it is:

Algemeen
    Volledige naam : E:\Avid Projects\baby_nutr0309\dumuni ni sin 09.mov
    Formaat : QuickTime
    Formaat/Info : Original Apple specifications
    Bestandsgrootte : 99,7 KiB
    Duur : 15mn 21s
    Totale bitrate : 886 bps
    Filmnaam/Meer : Source ID = 060a2b340101010101010f00-13-00-00-00-{49fc88cd-e2be-0198-060e2b347f7f2a80}
    Datum codering : UTC 2009-05-02 18:55:37
    Tagdatum : UTC 2009-05-02 18:55:58
    Gebruikte encoderbibliotheek : Apple QuickTime

Video
    ID : 2
    Formaat : AVdv
    Codec-ID : AVdv
    Duur : 15mn 21s
    Bitrate-modus : Constant
    Bitrate : 28,8 Mbps
    Breedte : 720 pixels
    Hoogte: 576 pixels
    Beeldverhouding : 5/4
    Frameratemodus :Constant
    Framerate : 25,000 fps
    Standaard : PAL
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.778
    Stroomgrootte : 3,09 GiB (3249064%)
    Titel: Module de gestion vidéo / Gestionnaire d’alias Apple
    Datum codering : UTC 2009-05-02 18:55:58

Audio
    ID : 1
    Formaat : PCM
    Formaatinstellingen, Endianness : Little
    Formaatinstellingen, Sign : Signed
    Codec-ID : sowt
    Duur: 15mn 21s
    Bitrate-modus : Constant
    Bitrate : 1 536 Kbps
    Kanaal(en) : 2 kanalen
    Samplerate : 48,0 KHz
    Resolutie : 16 bits
    Stroomgrootte : 169 MiB (173283%)
    Titel: Module de gestion Son / Gestionnaire d’alias Apple
    Datum codering : UTC 2009-05-02 18:55:57
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you have there is a PAL-versioned DV file that is encapsulated in a MOV container (well, the container is really just a pointer/alias to the original DV-MOV or DV-AVI or raw DV material).

Since PCs already come with DV splitting & decoding built-in, all you need to do to view that on YOUR computer (and I'm assuming your computer here is a PC, not a Mac) is a Quicktime-reading Directshow plugin. There are a number of these floating around the 'Net right now, a few are FREE. This will allow Directshow (and any apps that use DS, like WMP) to read the QT wrapper (unwrapping it in memory) and sending the unwrapped media streams to be split to V + A and then decoded + played.

The 3ivX codec, while handy, was NOT what you really needed.

This will allow you to watch this material on DS-compatible software on YOUR computer, but won't really help others unless they do the same thing with installation--not a good idea. So, sooner rather than later, you'll have to encode this to something more universal, like DivX, WMV, MPG, or DVD-Video (most likely).

BTW, you should have still been able to view the material (even without installing the QT DS filter) via Quicktime, were you not?

HTH,
    Scott

edit>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOTE: As a MediaComposer user, you should already know this anyway, but NEVER NEVER NEVER install QT Alternative on that computer. MediaComposer REQUIRES the standard Quicktime installation, and an installation of QT alternative corrupts an already existing installation of QT. It should ONLY be used on systems that have no pre-existing QT. If this were to happen, you would be stuck having to do an uninstall QT, QT alternative, MediaComposer, and then reinstall only MC+QT. And even then you might not get all the stubs removed, and might end up having to reinstall the OS!!
    Quote Quote