VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to covert to my one hour 13gb home videos mp2, and then author to DVD.

1)Instead of losing quality by mp2 compression, can I take a one hour AVI video, edit it in Adobe Premere, Leave it in AVI format, and author it to a Blu-ray disk?

2) If yes, will a authored AVI video play on a Blu-ray player?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avi video with what video and audio codec?

Most blu-ray players does not support any avi, some support avi divx/xvid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI is a container. It all depends what's in it. (And I'm also assuming "mp2" means MPEG-2, which is the video stream accepted by DvD).

Since your home videos are in AVI and 13GB/hr, then I'm assuming the video format is DV (not DivX or Xvid). Then the answer is no to both 1) and 2) - the blu-ray standard does not accept them just like the DvD standard didn't. You still have to convert them and lose some quality. But if you encode to a higher bitrate it won't be that much.

Even if they were DivX or Xvid, you'd still need a player with the correct certification.

I'm also assuming by the size that it's in SD, not HD. If that's the case just do what you did when you converted to DvD - they will still be authorable in the blu-ray spec since it also supports SD and what is supported on DvD. You don't need to trouble yourself with longer encode times, more storage and zero benefit to encode it to HD for blu-ray. Carry on like you were before and just use a blu-ray authoring application instead of a DvD one this time.

Also keep a copy of the source to keep your highest quality options open to many formats.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Saying "I have an AVI" is like saying "I drive a car" --- it says very little.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Excellent help.

1) Does TMPEC make blu-ray author program?

2) I have my orignal DV AVI videos on tape. Is it a good idea to puts these on a blu-ray data disk?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Saying "I have an AVI" is like saying "I drive a car" --- it says very little.
    Did you see how I was making assumptions left, right and center? :P
    Originally Posted by yogart
    1) Does TMPEC make blu-ray author program?
    Yes indeed. It's spelled actually TMPGEnc and the program is actually called TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 (but LordSmurf calls it TAW 4 with Blu-ray .... inside joke here ... ). It's only limited to MPEG-2 pretty much as output, but nevertheless, it is, and promises to continue to be, a great program.

And as I mentioned last post - you don't need to encode to HD - waste of time and space, especially since BD plays SD and supports DvD streams. Just encode them to DvD since they are in SD anyways and this program can author the exact same files that will be playable on a DvD or BD - your choice.
    Originally Posted by yogart
    2) I have my orignal DV AVI videos on tape. Is it a good idea to puts these on a blu-ray data disk?
    Well, you should save a copy of your source to keep your options open since your encoding/playback choices could change at any time - and you will always get the best encode directly from the source itself. A purist will tell you to keep the tape and the DV AVI source. I would just keep the DV AVI myself, or (for the less important stuff) just re-encode it to a high-bitrate MPEG-2 to save some space. But that's me.

And yes, you can burn the AVI files as data to an empty BD disc for storage (or an external hard drive). It won't play back on a BD player, but you'll have the source to encode from for that.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not so much an inside joke as I'm too lazy to type T-M-P-G-E-N-C followed backspaces and re-editing posts because I can never seem to spell it right the first time.

Hence TDA and TAW !!!

I tawt I taw a putty tat!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote