VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Now that ppl can't get rid of their VCR's quick enough, I'd like to buy me a reference top-of-the-line S-VHS recorder (for if I have to save any VHS/S-VHS/VHS-C video). The kinds only rich folk would be able to have bought new
    But I'm a bit lost, I was never a fan of VHS and I really don't know much about good models.

I do have a few requirements:
    - Must be top-of-the-line
    - no professional equipment
    - audio level controlling and VU-monitoring
    (may add when I think of more)

Ideally there would be a S-VHS Sony to match this DV-VCR I have (also have the same model for Super-8 ):

Allright, I know I'm being a bit picky, but any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe missing audio level controlling but: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic347374.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, interesting, and I had already checked out some of those JVC's.

I should also add I live in Europe and so looking for a PAL machine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See the VCR sticky in this forum.
    JVC HR-S7965EK is my PAL unit, works nicely.
    Panasonic NV-FS200 is another good unit.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, I read that sticky, and in the mean time have bought a Panasonic NV-V8000. I love that it can accept VHS-C cassettes without adaptor.

Definately TOTL, bought it cheap but it does appear to show some black artefacts when displaying i.e. white subtitles. Will do some further testing with it, hope it's not worn out heads...

BTW, the guy I bought it from also used a NV-FS200, he'd agree with you, good unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TOTL = top of the line, I just now got that.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Finding these in PAL is the killer, there weren't a heck of a lot of choices. LordSmurf pretty much summed up the shortlist of what our PAL members are using, either the JVC HR-S7965EK or the Panasonic NV-FS200. The Panasonic is the most often discussed and reported-on PAL "totl" vcr by far, so I would think you couldn't go wrong with it. Don't overlook a PAL D-VHS if you find one thats affordable: these were much more recent than the SVHS, have somewhat more refined TBC/DNR circuits for cleaner color, and better mechanics. They don't usually have adjustable audio levels, but that feature isn't used during DVD transfer anyway.

The black specs around white objects symptom you're seeing on your NV-V8000 is typical of an interaction some versions of TBC in some VCRs have with high-contrast material. I can't tell from your photo if the NV-V8000 has a switchable TBC (time base corrector), if it does then try switching it off on the problem tapes: it sometimes makes a very big difference whether its on or off. The same applies to the DNR (digital noise reduction) feature in high-end vcrs: don't assume these are cure-all features that should always be left on, sometimes they make things worse. Its random, depending on the tape and the material recorded on it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by orsetto
    The black specs around white objects symptom you're seeing on your NV-V8000 is typical of an interaction some versions of TBC in some VCRs have with high-contrast material. I can't tell from your photo if the NV-V8000 has a switchable TBC (time base corrector), if it does then try switching it off on the problem tapes: it sometimes makes a very big difference whether its on or off. The same applies to the DNR (digital noise reduction) feature in high-end vcrs: don't assume these are cure-all features that should always be left on, sometimes they make things worse. Its random, depending on the tape and the material recorded on it.
    Yes it does have a switchable TBC, but I don't think turning it off changes much, would have to check again to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    TOTL = top of the line, I just now got that.
    That makes two of us.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote