VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just bought a Medion DVD/HDD recorder which I want to set up with my box type digital ready TV & digital set top box. Was having trouble so contacted Medion.

They told me the set top box should be unplugged from the telly input & plugged into the front panel of the dvd. Got the TV & DVD set up fine, with white & red audio cables and a s-video cable, to the TV input. Couldn't get the set top box to work at all like that & they said it must have been faulty(!? Worked before I tried setting up DVD)

So I decided to try plugging the set top into TV's AV2 input. It works through that, but is separate to DVD AV 'channel' so can't record those channels. Tried plugging set top back into main TV input, with DVD audio hooked to TV output. That worked, but the picture was terrible, lines thru it & 'rolling'.

I wonder if the last way I set it up was a bad pic because of s-video cable? The DVD also has 'scart' AV1 & AV2 sockets and came with an input adaptor for this, which takes white, red & yellow cables plus s-video. I wonder if I should be using that??

Can anyone help please??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basic connectivity would be cable box > recorder > TV. How they are connected will vary depending on the hardware involved and what connections each support. You generally want to choose the connectors based on quality preference. From best to worst: HDMI/DVI - component (red/green/blue RCA) - S-Video - coax - composite (yellow RCA). For you, I believe S-Cart falls would be equivalent to coax or maybe S-Video.

Choose the highest quality output that each pair of devices have in common. Then connect the cable box output to the recorder input. Then the recorder output to the TV input.

***Note: The cable box may need to be setup to utilize the output you are using, both audio and video (varies by brand/model). There should also be connection and setup information in the recorders user manual.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote