VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess my technical question is which chipset can play these type of files, assuming the screen resolution is within the limit (i.e., <= 720x576,) there is no packed bitstream or Qpel or GMC but the file size is larger than 2GB?

I suspect a divx standalone player like a Philips DVP 'dosomething' would be able to do the job right because I have heard that certain Philips models come with the Mediatek MTxxx or ESS Vibratto XX chipset(s), of which certain models are able to play a myriad of xvid files.

For example, on a Verbatim DVD-R disc I tried to play an XviD "Movie.Title.BRRip.XviD-SceneGroupName.avi" file on my Philips DVP-3140/37 but it did not play it correctly.

Here are the GSPOT video/audio specs of the file:

Codec: xvid
    Name: XviD 1.1.2 Final
    Video stream: MPEG-4
    NVOP, PVOP, DF
    kbps: 1885
    Qf: .359
    Video Resolution: 720x304

Container information:

AVI v1.0
    Interleave: 122 ms (2.9 v.frames)
    Audio frames: Split across interleaves
    Video: 1.31 GB (90.20%)
    Audio: 137 MB (9.19%)
    AVI Overhead: 9.02 MB (0.60%)

Side note: BTW, I am sure it is not a file size issue because it can play other 1 GB and larger xvid files.

Audio Codec:0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3, 48000Hz 192 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

Also, since I am considering purchasing another standalone DivX player, which player and model name w/ chipset would you recommend to meet my needs as mentioned above? Anyone?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. What was wrong with the playback on the 3140? I wonder if the DF (duplicate frame NVOP) is the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BRRip simply means you are downloading videos converted from what were once Bluray sources. Assuming they are encoded to the same basic specs that any other Xvid is encoded to playback on standalone players, any Divx/Xvid capable player will play them. If they are not, very few players will.

FWIW, the quality will be exactly the same as it would if the source had been DVD, as they have been resized down to SD levels and compressed beyond their limits.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I found an Xvid AVI with DF and it played without issues on my DVP-5990.

I only have one Xvid AVI over 2 GB right now, 2,230,872,064 bytes. I was able to play it off an 8 GB USB thumb drive. The behavior was a little unusual. When the player start playing the file it gave the usual "reading index" message but it disappeared right away. The player then sat there for a minute or so with just the blue background screen showing. The thumb drive I was using flashes an LED when it is being accessed. The LED was flashing so I left the player running. After a minute or two the movie started playing. I fast forwarded to near the end and went back to regular play speed. The file played all the way to the end.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    What was wrong with the playback on the 3140? I wonder if the DF (duplicate frame NVOP) is the problem?
    It just fast-forwarded the video file (w/o playing video and audio) by skipping every few or several seconds.

I will post back after I investigate the DF playback issue with other similar files that have DF and NVOP enabled.

Originally Posted by guns1inger
    BRRip simply means you are downloading videos converted from what were once Bluray sources. Assuming they are encoded to the same basic specs that any other Xvid is encoded to playback on standalone players, any Divx/Xvid capable player will play them. If they are not, very few players will.

FWIW, the quality will be exactly the same as it would if the source had been DVD, as they have been resized down to SD levels and compressed beyond their limits.
    This is good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    I found an Xvid AVI with DF and it played without issues on my DVP-5990.

I only have one Xvid AVI over 2 GB right now, 2,230,872,064 bytes. I was able to play it off an 8 GB USB thumb drive. The behavior was a little unusual. When the player start playing the file it gave the usual "reading index" message but it disappeared right away. The player then sat there for a minute or so with just the blue background screen showing. The thumb drive I was using flashes an LED when it is being accessed. The LED was flashing so I left the player running. After a minute or two the movie started playing. I fast forwarded to near the end and went back to regular play speed. The file played all the way to the end.
    This is nice to know.

Maybe I should get your model, 5990? or 5992?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did GSpot show the use of GMC or QPEL? Xvid's 3 warp point GMC will be a problem on almost every Divx/DVD player, including the 5990. QPEL support varies. The 5990 supports it. I'm pretty sure the 5140 doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, GSpot did not show the use of GMC or QPEL.

But the other file(s) I tested that worked had the same features enabled, DF and NVOP, with the additional difference of BVOP, OpenDML (AVI 2.0), and AC3 codec.

So DF can't be the problem here. I suspect it may be the absence of OpenDML AVI and AC3 codec to be the problem here. Later, I will try another video file(s) that does not have OpenDML AVI 2.0 and AC3 codec enabled and see if I can replicate the problem. But I think the problem is that the video file in question is using an older version of AVI 1.0 and the MP3 audio codec that is stopping it from playing in this particular Philips model.

I don't know what it is anymore.

I guess I would have test to the video on a model myself if I were shopping for one.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do a quick remux with VirtualDub:

File -> Open Video File
    Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    File -> Save as AVI

That will create AVI+ODML and interleave with smaller chunks (1 frame instead of 2.9). Also try breaking it into smaller parts (use VirtualDub's Mark-in, Mark-out tools). I seem to recall the 640 having problems with files over 2 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to mention that GSpot reported "64 unneeded bytes at end of file."

Now...

after I tested other "AVI 1.0" or "OpenDML"-less files, they worked.

One of those "AVI 1.0" files that GSpot reported as "12 unneeded bytes at end of file" also worked.

I did not do a quick remux on them.

This issue is now eliminated.

Next, I did what jagabo said and it worked.

So thank you.

Then, the culprit I suspect was "64 unneeded bytes at end of file."

If this is true, then why doesn't it play with this condition?
    Quote Quote