VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks --

I just tried to play a bunch of WMA files on my DVP5990 from the USB stick and nothing doing. In fact, the power button wouldn't even work and I had to shut down the box from the surge protector. Anyone else have this problem? from what I understand this player should play WMA's fine. Do they have to be pressed to disc? I'm confused . . . but this is nothing new.

Oh yeah, I should mention that all the files I tried to play do fine in WMP.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a matter of fact, yes. Yesterday I burned two WMV test files onto a DVD and my player locked up. I had to unplug it to get it to work again, all the while my heart missing a couple beats thinking I had bricked my player.

Some files play fine while others don't. Here's the link to the thread and files that the 5990/37 doesn't like.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic367359.html#1962255
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey, thanks for this. I'll go have a look.

-----------later----------------

Well, thanks for the link to the thread but while I saw a lot of talk concerning WMV files, I didn't see much about pure audio WMA files. All the info I've found on this box says WMA's are supported, so I'm hoping someone else might have seen the same thing happen on their box.

Still, thanks for the input.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are a few different versions of the WMA codec. The 5990 plays WMA2 but it doesn't seem to like WMA1. Also verify that your files are really WMA -- try MediaInfo. Anyone can rename a file with whatever extension they want. Many media players will be able to figure out what type of file it is by the content. The 5990 doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well Jag', I took your advice and grabbed that wee prog' you mention. They are indeed wma2 files as the screen-shot I'm posting will show. Thanks for your help . . . any other thoughts on this?

Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the files are damaged they might cause problems. If they play flawlessly in WMP they're probably ok. If you hear clicks, pops, and chirps they may be damaged. Is it possible they are DRM protected? That pretty much exhausts my knowledge of WMA on the 5990.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nope, no DRM, play flawlessly (including all the song/artist info) in WMP, the only thing I can think of is DVP5990 doesn't like WMA on thumb drive?
    Hell, I'll burn a disc tomorrow and give that a shot. I'm totally befuddled by this'n.

Thanks for your input, man.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  8. I played my test files off an 8 GB thumb drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mine's a 4 gig thumb, and so far every mp3, xvid/divx, including subtitles, has worked just fine. This WMA thing is the first bit that didn't play and seized the box.

I'd love to send you one of the files, Jag', and see if you can play it. Though I don't think this type of behaviour is allowed around these here parts.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  10. PM me with a link. Use http://www.mediafire.com/ or some other file transfer service.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm using a mod firmware from: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675-540.html#1938289
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just msg'd you but not much success with mediafire.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote