VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was given a Samsung v3650. It won't play DVDs. I keep getting an error message. Is there a firmware update that might fix this? I can hear the disc spinning, it just won't play them. I have tried a number of DVDs, so I know its not just a bad DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you not considered the possibility that the player is simply in need of repair or replacement and that's why it was given to you? DVD players don't last forever. Many of today's models are built with the cheapest, lowest quality components because the marketplace demands low price. Also, the designs of the players are prone to heat damage unless you keep it in a very well ventilated, open area.

You could try cleaning the lens as that sometimes helps, but don't hold your breath. It doesn't always work. The player may simply need to be thrown out. Repairs really aren't worthwhile as they almost always exceed the cost of a new player. The fact is that DVD players are designed to be consumable, which means you just throw them away and buy a new one when you have problems.

Samsung's website contains no user downloadable firmware for this player. This is unfortunately typical of Samsung. They don't like their customers applying their own firmware updates. In the case of their HDTVs, there have been a few reports of customer's bricking their TVs by trying to update the firmware, so that's probably why they don't make it available for anything. Too much risk that a customer will botch the job and then blame Samsung for it.
    Quote Quote