VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been extracting vobs from DVD's using DVD Decrypter and editing, which for the most part has been ok. Sometimes sluggish, sometimes problematic vobs, but overall ok.

I learnt in another forum that vobs are not the best format to edit in, due to the fact that the frames require information from other frames (which is possibly contributing to the sluggishness and/or to the problem vob files that i come across here and there). Something about GOP (sorry guys, im still trying to get my head around all this).

It was suggested that i should use a format where "they take each frame of the video and compress the frame just like you take a RAW frame from your digicam and compress it to JPEG. it doesn't depend on other frames."

Can anyone suggest:

1) Formats which behave like this
    2) If there is a proper term to describe this, what is it
    3) a DVD Extracting program that will allow me to extract a DVD to this/these formats
    4) something that Vegas Video can edit (im using Vegas 7)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the suggestion is talking about cutting on I-Frames
    everytime you convert to another format, you lose some quality
    if your vob isn't too complex, you can just change the extension to .mpeg then edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I've had to edit VOBs I generally follow the method described in https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338866.html

The guide references Adobe Premiere, but I'm able to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6.0 so you should be able to edit with
    Vegas 7.0.

This subject has

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1 and 2 - sounds like you are looking for a lossless intermediate editing codec. huffyuv and lagarith are two that might work for you.

3 no

4 both

but you never did mention what the final format is going to be. there might be better ways to get there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly I use the method of zoobie, change extension to mpg.

Some editing software may not like that very much in which case I use VideoReDo which will frame copy (lossless) and save as an mpg. This removes any unwanted VOB data. Also very handy for splitting VOBs into smaller clips for editing. Frame accurate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These always work:

Edit DVD from DVD Recorder
    For discs created on a DVD recorder, so that the computer can be used for editing and authoring final discs. Uses the freeware DVD Decrypter. Includes brief information on Womble MPEG-VCR.

Edit DVD from DVD Recorder on Mac OS X
    For discs created on a DVD recorder, so that the computer can be used for editing and authoring final discs. Uses YadeX and MPEG Streamclip.

Edit Profesionally-Produced DVD
    For discs authored on a computer, including both homemade discs and commercially-produced discs. Uses the freeware DVD Decryptor and VOB Edit to decompile the disc an extract the audio and video. The extracted content can then be edited and re-authored as needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I think the suggestion is talking about cutting on I-Frames
    everytime you convert to another format, you lose some quality
    if your vob isn't too complex, you can just change the extension to .mpeg then edit
    ive been told that changing the file extension to .mpg doesnt really do anything - ive tried this on some of my problematic vobs, where for some reason whenever i load these into Vegas the CPU jumps to 50% and I cant edit - I've started a different post on this but I cant seem to solve it. This thread, i guess, is directly related to that thread (https://forum.videohelp.com/topic366500.html). Basically, this doesnt seem to resolve my problem

Whenever I've had to edit VOBs I generally follow the method described in https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338866.html
    i'll give this a go and see how i go

Some editing software may not like that very much in which case I use VideoReDo which will frame copy (lossless) and save as an mpg. This removes any unwanted VOB data. Also very handy for splitting VOBs into smaller clips for editing. Frame accurate.
    cool - another thing ill try....

These always work:

Edit DVD from DVD Recorder
    For discs created on a DVD recorder, so that the computer can be used for editing and authoring final discs. Uses the freeware DVD Decrypter. Includes brief information on Womble MPEG-VCR.

Edit DVD from DVD Recorder on Mac OS X
    For discs created on a DVD recorder, so that the computer can be used for editing and authoring final discs. Uses YadeX and MPEG Streamclip.

Edit Profesionally-Produced DVD
    For discs authored on a computer, including both homemade discs and commercially-produced discs. Uses the freeware DVD Decryptor and VOB Edit to decompile the disc an extract the audio and video. The extracted content can then be edited and re-authored as needed.
    i guess ill have to read up on these!!!! so much to learn to much to read!!

1 and 2 - sounds like you are looking for a lossless intermediate editing codec. huffyuv and lagarith are two that might work for you.

3 no

4 both

but you never did mention what the final format is going to be. there might be better ways to get there.
    i think i am! ill read up on those and see if they help.

What I am doing is converting music video clips to .mp4's which is the preferred format for a DJ program I use to mix music videos.

What I would like to do is:

1) have a work flow where I can edit easily without any visable lag when i zoom in and out of frames which currently happens. This is where I think an intermediate format might help me so i can work quicker

2) when i finish editing the video, export to a lossless (or to something where i lose as little quality as possible) for storage so if the software designers for the DJ program that I use (Serato) introduce new options in terms of video playback (ie higher quality or lossless quality videos) then I can use my finished edited video and convert from there. Currently I export everthing to .vob, then convert the vob to MP4 using Visual Hub on a Mac, and I keep both files. 1 for use and the other for storage. If vob is not the best, then a suggestion as to what would be better would also be appreciated.

the person i've been talking to on another forum raves on about Final Cut Pro - especially a feature where after you edit a video you can replace this video with a vob before you export. the idea is that the format he uses is easy to edit, and once his finished - he presses a few buttons and FCP replaces this video with the original vob then exports to a high quality file (i think vob).

does anyone know if Vegas has this feature?

Like i said above - i just want the best work flow - to get from DVD - edited music video to a file which i can store for future reference and also convert to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1) have a work flow where I can edit easily without any visable lag when i zoom in and out of frames which currently happens. This is where I think an intermediate format might help me so i can work quicker
    There is something seriously wrong with your setup if you get lag on a simple SD MPEG2 video. I would fix that before going to proxies or intermediate files. This is generally reserved for high bitrate HD formats

2) when i finish editing the video, export to a lossless (or to something where i lose as little quality as possible) for storage so if the software designers for the DJ program that I use (Serato) introduce new options in terms of video playback (ie higher quality or lossless quality videos) then I can use my finished edited video and convert from there. Currently I export everthing to .vob, then convert the vob to MP4 using Visual Hub on a Mac, and I keep both files. 1 for use and the other for storage. If vob is not the best, then a suggestion as to what would be better would also be appreciated.
    Exporting to .vob is lossy.

If you want an archival format, use lagarith or huffyuv or some other lossless compression. The filesize will be huge, but at least it won't have quality deterioration.

the person i've been talking to on another forum raves on about Final Cut Pro - especially a feature where after you edit a video you can replace this video with a vob before you export. the idea is that the format he uses is easy to edit, and once his finished - he presses a few buttons and FCP replaces this video with the original vob then exports to a high quality file (i think vob).

does anyone know if Vegas has this feature?
    It's called proxy editing, and vegas doesn't support it natively, but there are workarounds. Again, you shouldn't need this on a simple SD MPEG file even on very old systems.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happens-vegas/140733-does-vegas-support-proxy-file-editing.html
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=23991
    Quote Quote