VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I just installed a new LG Blue Ray player "Super Multi Blu" in my PC. My PC is a i7 with 6 gig ram, 1 tera bytes harddrive and Windows Vista Home Premium. The video card is the best I could find and has one gig on board memory.

When I put a Blue Ray movie in the player it doesn't recognize the disk. Why? I tried the Windows Media Player with the same results - it doesn't see the disk, as well. Why?

It is a brand new disk - Passion of Christ. I tried other Blue Ray disks with the same result.

Thank you

bryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need a Blu-ray software player. There aren't that many available. PowerDVD, WinDVD and ArcSoft Total Media Theatre are three of them. Not much else out there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is two examples of what I read in New Egg:

Cons: The big problem about having a PC Blu-ray is the software. It has to be constantly updated with the industry's encryption for Blu ray. Corel hasn't been doing a good job at that. That's why most of the newer titles don't play with this software. Of course, Corel tech support don't admit this and they're blaming it on the player manufacturer.

Pros: NONE, this software just worked on two Blu-ray DVDs - that I have...........for the other Blu-ray DVDs I tried, this software didn't work at all.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any experience with these softwares that playback Blu-Ray DVDs? PowerDVD, WinDVD and ArcSoft Total Media Theatre ? It is a little scary when the comments in New Egg for all three softwares say the same thing. It seems the software needs to be uograded continually or the newest Blu-Ray movies won't play. Confusing! Which software do I buy?

tryin' bryan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever you do, please download the trials of any blu-ray playback software (if there are any). And make sure that your monitor(s) and video card are hdcp compliant. I had all sorts of problems playing blu-ray on my computer, and my hardware was supposedly hdcp compliant. I decided to buy a Samsung blu-ray standalone and a Vizio HDTV and have never looked back. I tried ALL of the available software for blu-ray software and they all had issues of some kind. Tech support could not figure out what was wrong for 2 of the 3 software players. One wouldn't even play dvds. I even had problems playing homemade blu-ray discs and dvds.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use PowerDVD8 regularly with my HTPC. It's a bit of a bloatware program and takes a long time to load the BDs before play starts. Part of that is the DRM/HDMI negotiation.

I've tried ArcSoft and it seems better. A bit less bloat.

Only tried WinDVD a couple of times, Seemed about the same as PowerDVD.

I do have AnyDVD decrypter and it helps with the DRM problem, so no need to upgrade the player software.

The bad news is that the combination of AnyDVD and PowerDVD is about $175US. I added a ATI 3870 video card for another $140US. I could have bought a BD set top player for that. But I also wanted to backup my BDs to my video server, so AnyDVD was really needed. I could have gotten a lower end video card. I found that out later. My HTPC with it's on-board ATI video chipset works fine for BD playback.)

AnyDVD helps a lot. With it running, I can also play the .m2TS files directly from the BD discs with either VLC or MPC Home Cinema. But for the menus and the rest of the stuff on a BD, you need a real software BD player.

One word of warning. When you get a BD to display properly, regular DVDs will look like crap from then on. I have a video projector and a 12' screen and BDs look great. DVDs don't (At least to me) anymore.

EDIT: And I might mention, WMP tries to play everything and rarely succeeds. I don't bother to use it for anythng.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ditto redwudz' experience (including the projector - a 1080p InFocus X10 - an HTPC, and how SD DVDs look afterwards ), except since it is an HTPC and therefore has the ability to play files from an HDD, PowerDVD 9 fails to play BD ISO from an HDD, so I use Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre, which does play Blu-ray ISOs mounted with Daemon Tools' virtual drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually use arcsoft totalmedia theater now on my pc - vista premium. it is connected to my hdtv via hdmi and digital coax spdif to the amp. It works very well for m2ts h.264 high def files. It came bundled with my hauppauge hd pvr 1212 capture box.

I do have a bluray rom player on my pc but I use my ps3 for playing bluray more (better remote ). But this arcsoft player is supposed to play bluray as well as mentioned by the others.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote