VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been searching the net and the forums for info. about PS3 Media Servers. I'm somewhat dissatisfied with TVersity and PS3 Media Server. Is there a better alternative. If not, how do I get FFDShow working with PS3 Media Server?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are your issues with the current offerings ? They are probably the best of what is out there. Other possibles (but IMO lesser options) are Windows Media Player and Vuze (nee Azureus).

This post form the PMS forum covers to a dgree what you are after, I suspect : http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1544&p=7093&hilit=ffdshow#p7093 - you cannot use FFDShow directly, but you can in combination with Avisynth through PMS. Ignore discussions of codec packs and install FFDShow on it's own. Only a moron installs a codec pack to get FFDShow (obviously you already have FFDShow installed, but others reading this may not).
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using TVersity and PlayOn with my PS3. TVersity hosts my local videos (recorded TV from Media Center mostly) and PlayOn gives me access to online video content like Hulu. I'd stop using my PS3 for anything other than BluRay playback if WMC would finally be able to access Hulu.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    What are your issues with the current offerings ? They are probably the best of what is out there. Other possibles (but IMO lesser options) are Windows Media Player and Vuze (nee Azureus).

This post form the PMS forum covers to a dgree what you are after, I suspect : http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1544&p=7093&hilit=ffdshow#p7093 - you cannot use FFDShow directly, but you can in combination with Avisynth through PMS. Ignore discussions of codec packs and install FFDShow on it's own. Only a moron installs a codec pack to get FFDShow (obviously you already have FFDShow installed, but others reading this may not).
    That's one of the posts I came acrossed that looked to offer some help but really didn't at all. PS3 Media Server is easily the better choice. The default encoder for it is MEncoder which works well enough however FFDShow is much more efficient. I've been able to get it to work sort of but for some reason the Server executes two instances of Haali Media Splitter which doesn't really make sense. If you could shed some light onto the best way to utilize FFDShow that'd be great.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I played around w/ both tversity and PS3 server and gave-up. It would play most my movies, but would freeze and not start up on 10% of my files. I just bought a long hdmi cable and connect my PC w/ my amp and TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by eatmorechicken
    I played around w/ both tversity and PS3 server and gave-up. It would play most my movies, but would freeze and not start up on 10% of my files. I just bought a long hdmi cable and connect my PC w/ my amp and TV.
    PS3 Media Server works pretty well for what it is. You can get around most of the usual limitations like no DTS or Subtitle support but all in all your best bet is to use your PC. I will admit that it is really convenient to be able to get to all of my media just as fast or faster on my PS3 vs computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eatmorechicken
    That's really the best solution anyway. With TunerFree MCE available you can get online content into Media Center just as easy as it was to use something like PlayOn with the PS3 for that content.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could also get Netflix for films. I has a PS3 application.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using PS3 Media Server for a while now, mostly with my BraviaW5500 TV. In the beginning i also wanted to mess with AviSynth adn stuff.. but in the end i found it better to use mencoder alone, much better performance.

It works really well, i beleive it's the best solution out there right now.
    Quote Quote