VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i make my dvd's (16:9 widescreen)with Sony Vegas-rendered progressive movies with Sony Architect, progressive 'auto' function.
    When play them in a standalone on a 4:3 tv, you have letterbox strokes up and under the movie.
    The line between the movie and the black stroke seems to flash/flicker (jump up and down, at a very quick speed).
    Now i made another movie which contains a nice white border/line around it. Now the problem is much worse or visable (contrast white line on black surface).
    I can use a 'reduce interlace flicker' solution in sony architect, thinking my problem is something similar? Although this solution is according the manual for still-photos used in a movie. Don't know is i can use this on the movie. Don't if it's interlace flicker.
    Possible cause or solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're watching on a CRT display? That's normal then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, on a interlaced pal tv...the movie is progressive, is this the cause?
    Quote Quote  
  4. What type of TV? LCD, plasma, CRT...? Pretty much the only interlaced TVs are CRT.

The only way you are going to reduce the flicker is to darken the image at the top and bottom edges. The flicker reduction filter in Vegas probably will not help. Try compositing with a black image and an alpha mask.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo
    What type of TV? LCD, plasma, CRT...? Pretty much the only interlaced TVs are CRT.

The only way you are going to reduce the flicker is to darken the image at the top and bottom edges. The flicker reduction filter in Vegas probably will not help. Try compositing with a black image and an alpha mask.
    didn't know sorry...so i have a crt tv then?
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/28pt5105_00/28pt5105_00_pss_nld.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, that's a CRT. The problem stems from the fact that interlaced CRT displays only show half the picture at a time, alternating display all the even numbered scanlines, then all the odd numbered scanlines. This causes sharp, high contrast, horizontal edges to bounce up and down. The only solution to this would be to darken the picture at the top and bottom edges so that the contrast is reduced.

I wouldn't really worry about the problem. You'll eventually have a widescreen progressive display and the issue will go away.
    Quote Quote