VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hope this is the right forum. I have my wedding movies (about six discs total) on regular dvd(Mpeg?). Bluray players upconvert dvd discs on the tv. I was wondering if I burned my movies on a bd-r, will it still upconvert the blue ray disc? My guts telling me no since it's going to recognize the bd-r as bluray and assume it' a regular HD quality content that won't need to be upconverted. If that's the case, my dvds will probably look better on dvd than bd-r, no? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Either the player or the TV will upconvert. It won't look appreciably different than upscaling DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the starting content is HD (e.g. from an HD camcorder) and you still have the original format, you author it (either as avchd or blu-ray) and burn it to a bd-r and it will be HD.

If your starting material is DVD, it will look like crap because of the low resolution. If this is the case, I don't see why you would want to put SD material on blu-ray media in the first place (blu-ray format does support some SD formats, but has to be authored differently)
    Quote Quote  
  4. The reason I would want to put SD material on the bluray is to have all six discs on to one disc for convenience. My siblings wedding movies are also on a bunch of dvds; I think high as nine discs.

"Either the player or the TV will upconvert. It won't look appreciably different than upscaling DVD"

Will the TV or bluray player know to upscale it since it's going to recognize the disc as bluray and not dvd? I'm thinking an original bluray disc does not get upconverted since it doesn't need it, so how would the tv or player know to do it? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Man that must have been one heck of a wedding to take up 6 discs!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Man that must have been one heck of a wedding to take up 6 discs!
    That's what I was thinking.

OPutting DVD video as is on a BD-R won't work,you have to use a program that outputs to BD. multiAVCHD can do it for free but first you need to use DVDDecrypter to rip,use IFO mode and select no file splitting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    perhaps it was an indian wedding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may make it worse by doing this. I use a PS3 for BluRay playback. If I put in a standard DVD and watch it over HDMI, it will upscale the DVD to 1080i, and generally does a very good job - better than the TV's built-in upscaler. However when it plays back SD material on BluRay discs - for example older DVD extras that have been authored with new HD releases - it outputs 720 x 480 and the TV has to upscale. I don't know if this is something set at authoring, but the quality difference is very apparent.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL, it was an Indian wedding It include the two receptions and the party before the wedding.

"I use a PS3 for BluRay playback. If I put in a standard DVD and watch it over HDMI, it will upscale the DVD to 1080i, and generally does a very good job - better than the TV's built-in upscaler....However when it plays back SD material on BluRay discs - for example older DVD extras that have been authored with new HD releases - it outputs 720 x 480 and the TV has to upscale. "

I also have the PS3 with HDMI doing my upconverts for my dvds via HDMI. So the answer most likely seems it won't upconvert if I put my SD movies on bluray. Out of curiosity, I realize both the ps3 and TV have the ability to upconvert. How do I choose which upscaler I want to use (PS3 or TV).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    yessss....+1 for my indian wedding knowledge :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a top of the line Sony XBR or newer then I would use the PS3 for upscaling. It does a damn fine job of most DVDs. That said, I believe (it's not in front of me to check at the moment) that you can set the upscaling settings in your PS3 for different sources. If you send the TV's native res through (e.g. 1080i/p) then the TV won't upscale. If you send less, it will.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote