VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ViewSonic monitor w/ a native resolution of 1680x1050 and a Sceptre "Full HDTV" 1080p television w/ a native resolution of 1920x1080. I didn't use to have an overscan issue, but here is what is happening now. My HDTV is (as you are likely expecting me to say at this point) cutting off a bit of everything on all sides, including the start bar. I can scale the resolution down using my Nvidia control panel of course, and this works fine in most cases, but I want to get my HDTV to run at 1680x1050 (my monitor's res) w/o overscan so that I can play LotRO on whichever screen I want w/o having to re-configure my UI due each time I play the game because of different screen resolutions. The annoying thing is I didn't use to have this issue, and I don't know exactly what changed to cause it to happen. I got a new monitor... I used to have a 4:3 running 1280x1024. I got a new gfx card (which is listed in my comp details), and it has 2 dvi ports as opposed to one vga and one dvi like my old one did. Like I said though, I can't anymore remember when it started happening so I don't know if either of those changes effected it.

Any ideas as so how to fix this problem?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, you can run separate DVI-D resolutions. Check if the Sceptre has a no overscan setting. The VGA input (TV/Game port), if present, usually doesn't overscan.

Second, even though you have two DVI-I, either one can output VGA with a DVI-I to VGA cable or pinout adapter. These usually come packed with the display card. VGA TV inputs usually don't overscan and are intended for game play.

For this to work ideally, your display card should be able to output one of the Sceptre supported VGA resolutions.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell I don't have a "no overscan" setting on my TV. I can't find it at the very least and I've thoroughly examined the TV's set-up menus. I do have a DVI <-> VGA dongle sitting around somewhere, I don't think I have a VGA cable anymore though lol. If that's the only way to get it to work though I guess I'll be buying one soon though.

Thanks for the help. If there is another way to get this to work w/ DVI let me know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dratheus
    As far as I can tell I don't have a "no overscan" setting on my TV. I can't find it at the very least and I've thoroughly examined the TV's set-up menus. I do have a DVI <-> VGA dongle sitting around somewhere, I don't think I have a VGA cable anymore though lol. If that's the only way to get it to work though I guess I'll be buying one soon though.

Thanks for the help. If there is another way to get this to work w/ DVI let me know.
    VGA cables are very cheap. If the goal is games vs 24fps BluRay, VGA will look as good at 1366x768 or 1920x1080p if the TV accepts it (check the manual). Few games are native 1920x1080. The few that are are low action.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote