VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I sometimes get AVI's that do not play (maybe 30% of the time) in my standalone DVD player. If I try to play these AVI's, they will play fine for a few seconds and then stop playing. However, any AVI from Fair Use Wizard or Total Video Converter (XVID) always plays fine in my DVD player. My question is: What parameter in Gspot or MediaInfo will tell me whether the AVI will play in my DVD player? I would like to know this before I burn a disk and find that it doesn't play.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Frame sizes over 720x576. Xvid with GMC on all set-top Divx/DVD players. GMC on some Divx/DVD players. High bitrates (depending on player) like 3000" kbps). QPEL doesn't play on may players. Packed bitstream with 2 or more consecutive B frames. There's a whole stick on this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for link.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, check for audio interleave with MediaInfo. There should be a line in the audio specs "Interleave, preload duration".

If not, then use VirtualDub, Video and Audio direct stream copy, and it will correct it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The original AVI was too big to fit on a CD (with added sub/idx), so I used AVI-MuxGUI-1.17.8 to cut off 5 minutes of the AVI. This reduced the original AVI file size by more than a 5 minute proportion of file size. (Don't know why.) The resulting AVI would only play for several seconds in my DVD player and then quit. (Played fine on computer.) Then I used VirtualDubMod (direct stream copy) to cut off 30 seconds of the original AVI. This also reduced the original file size by more than a 30 second proportion - from 699MB to 685MB. (Don't know why.) But the result played perfectly in my DVD player. What I learned: Don't use AVI-MuxGUI to edit AVI. What I still don't know: Why does cutting off a small piece from the end of an AVI with VirtualDubMod or AVI-MuxGUI reduce the original AVI file size disproportionally? If a 700MB AVI is 120 minutes long, then each minute should be 5.83MB ( 700MB/120min= 5.83MB/min) and it seems that cutting the AVI should reduce the file size according to this calculation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimdagys
    Why does cutting off a small piece from the end of an AVI with VirtualDubMod or AVI-MuxGUI reduce the original AVI file size disproportionally? If a 700MB AVI is 120 minutes long, then each minute should be 5.83MB ( 700MB/120min= 5.83MB/min) and it seems that cutting the AVI should reduce the file size according to this calculation.
    The file uses variable bitrate encoding. Different parts of the video get more bitrate than others because they need it to maintain quality. For example, scrolling credits at the end of a video can often require more bitrate than the main body of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the answer.
    Quote Quote