VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Fraps 2.9.8, although the problem existed for me in earlier versions as well.

Anyways I have this weird problem with fraps videos. Sometimes while watching them I get these little.. glitches? I will show a few example screenshots.

http://i39.tinypic.com/s3ho4y.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/r7w4gj.jpg
    ^ Sometimes it has these black and white lines coming from the bottom. They could be short, or the lines could reach almost to the top of the frame.

And less often the lines are coloured instead of black and white. Don't have a screenshot of coloured lines though. But when the glitch happens, it only lasts for 1 frame, although it could happen multiple times throughout the video. Even though its only 1 frame its still really obvious and annoying to pop up during the video.

What's weird is if I am say watching the video in media player classic or whatever, if the glitch occurs then I rewind and play the same part again, this time it won't be there. Or if I close the video and play it again, this time the glitches will be in a different spot. So it seems to me like it is not like they are a part of the video or that the video is corrupt in some way, but rather the codec or something in the way of it playing has a problem.

But as I said I am using the latest version of Fraps. The problem also existed other times I've had it installed as well (I tend to reinstall windows rather often).

I wouldn't mind if it was just the player or something, but the annoying part is if I convert it to something else with a program such as VirtualDub or MeGui, then if the glitches occured while converting the video, then the encoded video will also have the glitches, but always in the same spot (as if they were part of what was encoded).

So the only type of video which has this problem is Fraps, playing anything else is fine, and I get the problem no matter what player I use.

I have the K-Lite codec pack installed which comes with the fraps codec, I thought maybe they were conflicting so I uninstalled the fraps codec from the k-lite pack and reinstalled fraps again, although it didn't really do anything as the problem existed before I installed the K-lite codec pack anyway.

I've tried playing the video with overlays off and on, still the same issues. I am using Windows XP SP3 although the problem existed when I had SP2 as well.

Not really sure what to try next, so any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had something similar on one of my pc's , turned out to be a bad memory stick

I would test 1 at a time (leave 1 in), run memtest

If there was a repeatable pattern (i.e. same frame always glitched) it would suggest a decoder issue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm that would sorta explain other things on my PC acting weird actually

I will try it and see what I find out then. Thanks.
    Quote Quote