VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. AdrenalineWomenGunsCars mrjust's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i just purchased a Phillips dvd playes dvp5990 and i connect my portable hdd (SimpleTech)
    to it and none of my videos are showing?

it says it empty
    what im i doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1.The HDD has to formatted to FAT32.
    2.The partition cannot be over 500GB.
    3.The video files have to be DivX and the resolution must be under 720x576.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Surely your problem is something Moviegeek mentioned, but do note that Philips players also have limits on how many files and how many directories ("folders" for some of you Windows-centric people) you can have as well. We've got other threads that list the limits, but if I remember it's 600 and something files and 300 or so directories. And those limits are TOTAL limits, so you can't have 500 files in one directory and 300 in another - that exceeds the limit of 600-something files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As jman98 said there's also a file limit but you can get around that by having several partitions around 100GB each.
    Quote Quote  
  5. also try to format your drive with swissknife

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid files also work fine with the Philips players. But they do have to be compliant. Undoubtedly a few of your files are compliant, so you likely have one of the other problems mentioned.

If you need a program to format the drive to FAT32, try SwissKnife: http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

And there are quite a few threads about the 5990 if you look in our DVD & Blu-ray Players forum.
    Quote Quote