VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I have a total of 9 files totalling almost 12gb. They are made up of m2v and wav files.

The guy I filmed them for wants them distributed ideally on 1 or 2 discs. I explained dual layer might have DVD compliance problems so to try to avoid them.

What other options do we have? Can I fit 6GB worth of m2v and wav onto each single layer DVD by shrinking?

I downloaded DVD Shrink but it only seems to want to work with already compiled DVD folders.

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, encode the wav audio files as ac3 files, and see how much that reduces the size. Dual-layer discs do not have DVD compliance issues, if the DVD is authored properly. They DO have playback issues on some players -- especially if you use any other media than Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, or burn with something other than ImgBurn.

What is the top priority of the project? Universal playability or cramming as much as video material on a single disc as possible? With the low prices of blank disc media today, there's no real good reason why you couldn't use multiple discs.

One thing you did not mention was total running time of the video material. Another problem might have been that the original video was encoded to m2v at an unnecessarily high bitrate, creating a massive file. But I wouldn't know, since you don't include information on running time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thanks for your prompt reply. By compliance issues, I meant playback issues. It is important that these play back with no problems, however the person I am doing them for ALSO wants them on as few discs as possible!

The total play time of all of the files is 2hrs 55mins.

I see your point about converting from wav as wav's are large, however of the 11.6GB, 9.8GB is video alone (m2v's)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tikigod19
    By compliance issues, I meant playback issues.
    That's correct there are some playback issues. Slightly higher than a standard DVD-R, but only with older set top DVD Players. If you go the Dual Layer route, make sure you bit set to DVD-ROM. My Panasonic has issue with DVD DL after the layer jump because of the weak reflectivity of the disc, and fails to paly DVD+R unless it's bit set to DVD ROM. You also need to factor in the cost of the DL discs, which are sky high compared to SL discs.

If you want a quick and dirty solution besides waiting the hours to re-encode the m2vs, give rejig a shot. The quality won't be as high as re encoding with ProCoder, CCE, TMPGenc, HCEnc .... but it is quick, and may suffice for your project.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. for a paying customer i wouldn't even think of re-encoding mpeg-2 files a second time to reduce their size. start over with the original source and encode once to the final size. with a good encoder like cce, procoder or mainconcept you can use a lower bitrate and get great results especially if you use multiple encoder passes and vbr.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say you should either
    1) Use AC3 for the audio and re-encode the video to fit on a dual layer dsic knowing that there may be some playback issues, mostly on older players.
    2) Use AC3 for the audio and re-encode the video to fit on 2 single layer discs. You'll have fewer playback problems and the video can use a slightly higher bit rate as dual layer discs are actually somewhat smaller than 2 single layer discs.

You'll have to figure out which way works better for you. We have various guides on re-encoding video. HCenc is free and honestly it's probably as good as the professional programs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. And if you call yourself a professional, then I don't see how you can even consider using DVD Shrink. I like minidv2dvd's advice about going back to the source files and reencoding for the correct size to begin with. You were a little bit vague, though, about how this 9 GB file was created. 3 hours of video isn't too much for a DVD9, if it was professionally filmed (no handheld and wild camera work, for example)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    And if you call yourself a professional, then I don't see how you can even consider using DVD Shrink. I like minidv2dvd's advice about going back to the source files and reencoding for the correct size to begin with. You were a little bit vague, though, about how this 9 GB file was created. 3 hours of video isn't too much for a DVD9, if it was professionally filmed (no handheld and wild camera work, for example)
    I'm not sure how the style in which it was filmed affects file size? In terms of how the video was created:

I filmed in HD and captured with HDVSplit to m2t files, then edited in premiere pro and exported to HD Mpeg. Then used virtualdub and tmpgenc to frameserve out to an m2v and wav. The 9gb is not one file, it is a series of 8 or 9 video files, so obviously if I choose to split among 2 discs (although will still require shrinking) then I can pick and choose which go on which disc to maximise disc use.

I didnt realise the playback issues were so rare on dual layer. Maybe that is an option, but will be more expensive if he wants a lot made.

I charged this guy to make the videos yes, but he intended on filming 2 pieces originally, but ended up with 9, this is what has caused the problem. It was never even going to be my job to compile the final disc, I was just trying to give him some options.

Thanks all for your help. It seems AC3 audio is the way forward, but in terms of using something like mainconcept to re-encode the video, do you know if these programs will take an m2v containing video only and convert it ok to reduce the bitrate? What file type will I be left with, will it still be an m2v?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no reason why an m2v video file that just under 3 hours should take up so many GBs, unless it was encoded far above healthy playable parameters. You can make two 90-min. DVDs that look great if you encode at the proper bitrate.

Dude, you need to educate yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Based on some rough calculations, I'd guess that the video bit rate is over 7000 Kbps. A slightly lower bit rate of, say, 6500 would get it comfortably on a dual layer disc.

I don't use Mainconcept, but yes, any encoder should be fine with video only input and produce m2v output. HCenc can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80

Dude, you need to educate yourself.
    er, yeah, thats why I started this thread?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Based on some rough calculations, I'd guess that the video bit rate is over 7000 Kbps. A slightly lower bit rate of, say, 6500 would get it comfortably on a dual layer disc.

I don't use Mainconcept, but yes, any encoder should be fine with video only input and produce m2v output. HCenc can do this.
    thanks for that, I see that mainconcept opens the mtv fine, but outputs to an mpeg. I take it there is no excess file size in an mpeg which normally carries sound? Or should I try to specify a different file type. Do you have any suggestions for bitrates before I play around and try to test some file sizes. By default, mainconcept says 6000, but I dont know if thats the same with every video it opens or just for this file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There shouldn't be a penalty for encoding without sound, but check to be sure that you are creating video only output. I've seen TMPGenc do some padding when the output wasn't set correctly and even though it only had video input, it produced a larger file than it should have.

You may potentially have to demux what mainconcept produces to get the video only steam out, but since I have never used it I cannnot say this with any certainty.

I'd say use variable bit rate with an average of 6300, a minimum of 5300 and a maximum of 7300 and you should not exceed dual layer disc size after the audio is added in.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks jman, i will have a play around and come back with my findings
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jman, I have reduced one of the files from 850mb to 650mb which seems good. The quality looks the same so I think that by playing with the bitrates I can get them all down to fit on a dual layer.

The issue I have is that there is a flickering horizontal line accross the mpeg when I open it in 3 different programs for playback. I haven't tried authoring it and burning to a disc and checking but I'm hoping this line does not remain.

Could you recommend a program to convert the wav audio to ac3? I have virtualdub but it doesnt want to open a wav.

Also when I author the files to DVD (I normally use TMPGEnc DVD Author) is that likely to need manual configuration on the settings in order to keep the size down? (I won't have a flash animated menu as size is priority)

Many thanks
    David
    Quote Quote