VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime member and very infrequent poster, but this is the group I know can advise me properly on my question.

For years I've used Lavasoft's Ad Aware SE (free version). It's been useful for me despite the fact that a couple years ago (when they released Ad Aware 2007) they've forced SE users to install the latest adware/spyware definitions manually.

Well, now they've dropped all support for SE users... no new definitions files will be provided for the freeware SE edition. (Support was withdrawn at the end of March.) They are forcing us to move on to their latest version, Ad Aware Anniversary Edition (AAAE).

So I'll be uninstalling Ad Aware SE from my PC. Then my choices are:
    1. Just migrate to AAAE (free version), or
    2. Find a new (free) alternative to Lavasoft

What does everyone here think I should do? Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  2. They've stopped working for me, many moons ago. I like SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The effectiveness of Ad-Aware has declined over the last couple of years and, in my opinion, there are several far better options.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, recommended by stiltman, are excellent free alternatives. A third application that I like and use is A-Squared free.

If you are interested, all three can be downloaded at www.filehippo.com
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also will suggest those two apps.

SUPERAntiSpyware is great. There is a free and paid version. Free version does manual scans only. Paid version has realtime protection and other goodies.

Malwarebytes is also great. Like sas free version does manual scan and paid version does realtime. I use both along with a good antivirus.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, there's also Spybot, which does have a realtime guard - but you'll still have to manually retrieve updates. (It'd be nice if it auto-updated... then I wouldn't have to pay other family members a visit every so often just to make sure their anti-spyware defenses are up-to-date. )
    I use that, along with Malwarebytes. Of course, if you know what you're doing, it's probably also a good idea to keep utilities like HijackThis, Process Explorer and Autoruns around, too.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes are good. I'd add Spywareblaster (free) to the list as well. Basically it works like a blacklist, currently of 12,229 items that are automatically blocked from installing. Updated regularly.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also stopped using Lavasoft's Ad Aware loooong time ago.

my 1st choice MalwareBytes 2ed is SuperAntiSpyware.I noticed MalwareBytes is faster and leaner
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah Ad-Aware SE was the last good version,I now use SuperAntiSpyware.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Wow, the consensus is unanimous

Bye bye, Lavasoft...

I used Malwarebytes once to fix a friend's PC which had been infected with the "Antivirus XP" scareware. Does it also remove tracking cookies the way Ad Aware did? I'd like to continue cleaning off tracking cookies after every web browsing session as I have been doing with Ad Aware.

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I love this forum
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by PartingShot
    I used Malwarebytes once to fix a friend's PC which had been infected with the "Antivirus XP" scareware. Does it also remove tracking cookies the way Ad Aware did?
    Yes it does remove tracking cookies, I run quick scan most times. And it *is* pretty quick.

I think it was the forced upgrade to AdAware2007 when the damn thing stopped working. If memory serves...
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I believe Superantispyware is slightly better at removing cookies.

One thing not mentioned but very useful is to run CCleaner after closing out your browsing session. Although most browsers give the option to remove cookies on closing, some usually remain.
    I run the cleaner and registry scans after closing the browser and remove lots of garbage.
    It's really amazing how quickly it will accumulate.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still using Ad Aware myself, but I have a registered version. I will, however, be trying out these other programs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me too. Nobody mentioned Spybot S&D? Is it too "old skool"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Spybot is good but I've found that superantispyware and malwarebytes both catch more than spybot does.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I mentioned it.

Really, that's why it's not a bad idea to keep more than one anti-spyware program around, just in case... but, of course, don't have more than one real-time scanner or guard active at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Me too. Nobody mentioned Spybot S&D? Is it too "old skool"?
    Not that it's old school or out dated, just that IMO SAS or MB do a better job.

If I'm working on an infected computer, I usually have to use more tools than just one of those
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Ad Aware SE (free version) has been replaced with Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition, still available as a free version. The nice thing about the Anniversary Edition is that it now comes bundled with Ad-Watch Live!, which is a real-time scanner for spyware threats and such. So far it seems to be working well for me ... no issues, anyways. You can link to the download from the Ad-Aware site, or search for it on Download.com (which I think is where the Ad-Aware site links to for the download anyway).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cant go wrong with Malwarebytes. Always check for updates first before scanning. The paid version offers auto updating and a real time protection component. As malware becomes more and more web based its important to keep apps like flash, quicktime etc updated. Its not just about your OS/browser anymore. Heres a link to check those possible vulnerabilities:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Comodo
    so much for unanimous
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'll also go for CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Super AntiSpyware. I'll also chip in with Spybot S&D but more for the 'Immunize' feature these days than it's scan & remove side. I also use Spyware Blaster as another Immunisation program. SDHelper (an optional resident part of Spybot S&D) gives a little more security when browsing and I'll occasionally use TeaTimer (the other optional resident part of Sybot S&D) as a diagnostic tool if something is regularly messing with my registry but it's too annoying to leave running the whole time.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by wtsinnc
    One thing not mentioned but very useful is to run CCleaner after closing out your browsing session. Although most browsers give the option to remove cookies on closing, some usually remain.
    I disable cookies except for sites on my white list.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Spybot S&D catches bugger all and it's toooooo slowwww.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't really had a problem with Spybot catching things, and for those it doesn't catch, that's why I always recommend running more than one anti-spyware suite, like Spybot+MalwareBytes (or whatever you prefer).

As for the speed - I'd rather it take its time. Seriously, I would rather spend some time making sure the computer's spyware-free and running correctly than having a 'quick fix.' And that usually requires more than just running Spybot/MB against it, for me.
    Quote Quote