VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing VHS tape footage to HDD via a DVD-Ram Recorder. Results are OK, but I notice that there are "jaggies" on lines (Eg building roofs, railings, wires etc etc) that are almost horizontal. Obviously there is something wrong with the horizontal or vertical resolution but I'm not sure what, or how to fix it. I've tried resizing first the Width, then the Height, using the Resize filter in Virtual Dub, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

So.......Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zen
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NoOne seen the dreaded Jaggies
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like interlace. Try playing it on a TV and you won't see them. Computers use a progressive type display and those lines will show unless you use a software player that can handle interlaced video correctly. VLC and others can.

But I would try a TV set. They use interlaced by default. So you likely don't have any problem other than viewing the video with the wrong software player or not turning on the players interlace settings.

And I'm assuming the video is MPEG-2, otherwise if you are converting to AVI type formats like Divx/Xvid, you might want to run them through a deinterlacer first.

EDIT: If interlace isn't your problem, post a screen shot of what you are seeing. Or a short video clip.
    Quote Quote