VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Buying Final Cut Studio used (version 5.1) tomorrow from a guy off of craigslist. I'm paying $250. He claims it's a full version, with original box and all disks & manuals. But I can't verify anything until after the purchase because I'm picking it up at lunch. I can look at the disks but I can't install the software until I get home later in the day. Ok so is there anything I should look out for? Does this guy need to deauthorize his computer in order for me to register it? I never buy anything this way, but it looked like a pretty good deal and I want the software. So I'm kind of naive to this.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and ....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get an escrow guarantee that you become the registered user. The box, discs paper mean nothing*.

Since this is Craigslist you need to bring a third party escrow agent. Only Apple can over-rule what the seller says.

* unless Apple agrees in writing that you are the new owner.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah... if he's already registered the software, you might be screwed, depending on how the software validation works. You should ask him if he's used and/or registered it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will be fine, as long as the disks are original and not copies. Even if he registered the software, you can still also register it. Apple will accept it. There really is no real way to "unregister" an Apple product that you have bought that I am aware of... Just make sure you get the real license, that it's not some copied off an illegal internet website that won't work for the next update...

AND, you should be fine upgrading to FCP 6 when it comes out later this year...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info guys. Got it and installed it, no problems. Love it. My first time using Motion. Can't wait to upgrade!
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and ....
    Quote Quote