VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fellow Forum Members,
    I have close to 300 video files in the TRP format that I have extracted from my Sonicview DVR hard disk and have moved onto my PC hard drive. I now have the task of converting all of these TRP files to the MPEG format.

Can anyone out there please recommend to me a FREE Windows XP video converter app that can convert all my TRP files to MPEG files as a batch process? Someone recommended I use ProjectX but wondering if there are other options out there that are more user friendly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never used it but I've read that mpeg streamclip converts trp to mpeg. It's freeware so you might give that a shot.

Have no idea if it will handle batch processing.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    I've never used it but I've read that mpeg streamclip converts trp to mpeg. It's freeware so you might give that a shot.

Have no idea if it will handle batch processing.
    Thanks Freebird73717,
    Can anyone out there point me to an app that has Batch Conversion capability? I was originally seeking FREEWARE. However, I am now willing just to simply pay for any app that has batch conversion capaility. Can anyone out there recommend a pay for software package that will support TRP to MPEG batch conversion? What I mean by batch conversion is to have the ability to setup a target directory such as "C:\TRP files" and then instruct the app to automatically convert all of the TRP files nested inside subfolders within "C:\TRP files" into MPEG4 files. Once converted it will automatically output to an output directory I define. I want to avoid having to do this conversion task manually.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Looks like mpegstreamclip does handle batch conversion.

I got the below quote from this source

MPEG Streamclip supports batch processing: just drag some files in the batch list, choose a conversion and a folder, click the Go button and MPEG Streamclip will automatically convert all your files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like mpegstreamclip does handle batch conversion.

I got the below quote from this source

MPEG Streamclip supports batch processing: just drag some files in the batch list, choose a conversion and a folder, click the Go button and MPEG Streamclip will automatically convert all your files.
    Freebird73717,
    Thanks for the help. This MPEG Streamclip app seems to be very versatile. I will be installing it soon and let everyone know what results I get. Moreover, I appreciate your Google that for me video clip. It never occured to me to Google it as you did. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

I'm just glad you appreciated it for what it was! Some people get offended by it when all it was meant for was just a way to give you the information you need and to help you help yourself at the same time.

Let me know how it works out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'm just glad you appreciated it for what it was! Some people get offended by it when all it was meant for was just a way to give you the information you need and to help you help yourself at the same time.

Let me know how it works out for you.
    freebird73717,
    Here is an overview of the results I got using MPEGstremclip. First, the Batch function of this app is awesome. It is very user friendly and it's easy to cue up several hundred videoclips and batch convert them. However, where this app falls short is that it takes way too long to convert a TRP videoclip to a MPEG4 videoclip. For a 45 minute TRP video clip it took close to 3 hours to convert. This is INSANE. My computer would have to be on for the rest of the 2009, 24/7 once it completes all of the conversions I need to run.

I decided to buy VideoRedo because I learned this app has Batch conversion capability. In contrast, this app took 2 minutes to convert the same 45 minute TRP videoclip to MPG format. However, comparing the MPEG4 file (outputted by MPEGstreamclip) to the MPG file (outputted by Videoredo) reveals something interesting:

MPEG4 FILE: 777 MB file size, the audio is better, the video color and image look sharper and more vibrant.

MPG FILE: 932 MB file size, the audio is not as good, the video color and image do not look as sharp and vibrant as the MPEG4 file.

I am by no means a video expert. I know very little on this subject. However, I do have a good set of ears and eyes and they tell me that the MPEG4 file has better audio and video quality within a smaller file size. Is there any app out there that can deliver what MPEGstreamclip delivers but at a fraction of the time?

Moreover, when deciding to output in the MPG or the MPEG4 format, is there anything I currently need to take into consideration? My concern is that once I convert all my TRP files to MPG format, I may in the future be regretting that I didn't choose MPEG4 instead. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    several hundred videoclips
    Man thats a lot of tv.

Three hours to do one 45 minute file does seem extreme unless you have an older computer. Possibly a wrong setting. Not sure. Mabe someone else with more experience with mpegstream clip will chime in with more suggestions.

Videoredo is a great app. I use it to cut commercials from tv captures made with my hauppage capture card. As far as the quality differences ,mpeg 2 which is what videoredo outputs, is a lossy format compared to mpeg4. Mpeg4 offers better compression so with lower bitrates/smaller file sizes it will look better than mpeg at similar bitrate/file size.

If your final destination for these files is video DVD then you need to output as mpeg. If you just want to keep them on your computer then go for mpeg4/divx/xvid for the better compression.

Keep in mind I've never worked with trp files so I'm just giving basic info and advice.

If you want to do some more research into this type "trp convert" into the search box at the top of this page and search all forums. You will hopefully find some helpful posts.
    Quote Quote