VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony Blu Ray Player. I made some DVD backups using the Video_TS file. I've made DVDs on a 4.7GB DVD, both +R and -R. The result is the same. Some movies play fine on the Blu Ray player, but some movies are unreadable on the blu ray player. They work fine on a regular DVD player and on my computer DVD player. It is just the Blu Ray. I assume that there are some protections on the blu ray playe that prevents me from watching backups. Some of the movies that won't play are Davinci Code and the Star Trek movies, which I believe Sony is involved with. Is there a patch I can put on to bypass this security?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How did you rip the DVD movies to your computer? What program? The latest version of DVDFab HD Decrypter should work, or AnyDVD.

Then what program did you use to convert the ripped VIDEO_TS file to the size of a DVD-5? DVD Shrink? DVD Rebuilder?

You will need to supply more information about your process to give much advice.

It sounds like the rip to your computer is the problem.

Another possibility is poor quality DVD media or maybe your burning program. ImgBurn works best for burning, and Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim for media are about the only brands I use any more.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not ripping any DVDs. I am getting the Video_TS folders off newsgroups and they are all around 4.7GB. I use Toast Titanium to burn them. I use the Video_TS option. The DVDs work just fine on any other DVD player and my computer. The DVDs are just fine. It's the Blu Ray Player that has some sort of protection against SOME of the DVDs. I think Sony makes the Davinci Code DVD and that's why it wouldn't let me play the burned copy of that movie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, you're basically complaining that stuff you grabbed free off the internet that shouldn't have been posted there in the first place doesn't work. You may not have ripped the DVDs, but someone else definitely did, and badly in many cases- these newsgroup guys are not all geniuses.

Computers and regular DVD players have more tolerance for these junk VOBs than the very picky BluRay players. Its certainly possible the BD player is detecting the discs are not kosher, but more likely they are just off-spec enough that the BD player just can't figure out how to play them: there is probably no "hack" that will fix this for you. Besides the dodgy newsgroup VOB sources, you may have problems because you created the DVDs with Toast Titanium, which is known for burning some very odd DVDs occasionally. I use Toast to make data DVDs on my Macs but I never create video DVDs with it. This sort of "newsgroup DVD trading" is not exactly a Mac specialty, the whole system is designed for freebie Windows software not easily matched on a Mac. Google around and find out what other Mac users have chosen instead of Toast for this kind of task.
    Quote Quote