VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have an HDTV with one VGA input, i use this to display my computer and Xbox360, but i always have to swap the cable when I want to use one or the other.

I have seen vga splitter/doublers but they advertise themselves as "1 PC to 2 monitors" I would like to know if they would allow me to put 2 pieces of hardware (PC & 360) into the same socket (They do display on separate channels so that wouldn't be a problem).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No but you can buy a passive 2x VGA switch. You will probably need to reboort the computer or 360 to establish the monitor connection after switching.

Another option is a 2x active VGA KVM switch that should maintain the connection to both devices when you switch. These are as cheap as $20 but read the user reviews. Get one with a manual switch.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know its not as attractive but why don't use a component connection for either the 360 or the pc? The 360 won't allow the same 1360x768 resolution over component that it does for the vga cable. I know that is why I use the vga cable for my 360. I am assuming that is probably why you are as well.

Do you have the option of doing component out on the pc? Do you have a free component input on the hdtv? Its very easy to get a component cable switcher these days. Anyplace has them really. And I think pc's are more fluid on resoultions over component than the 360 is.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies

Apart from the usual scart inputs etc, i only have one DVI input in the TV, component is coming from the 360 and is then converted to VGA and then to DVI (i don't think 360 sells a DVI cable)

I only have VGA option from the PC.

I'm not that technical, but 360 is displayed on the TV at 720p.

On a side note, for some reason the resolution of the PC is stretched and doesn't seem to support widescreen resolutions, it's set to 1024x768 for the most part which i have stretched to fill the screen. I don't know if this is due to limitations with the video card or the TV (it's an old PC)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you don't have any component connections at all on the tv is that the issue?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just have the DVI input, no component or anything else for PC or 360 - they must both go to that slot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then I would recommend getting a decent vga switch as eddv recommended earlier. That seems to be the only way to get it working decently.

You can get a vga cable for the xbox 360. That way it would be a direct connection to the switch device. That would provide the best picture for the xbox. Then you would hook the pc up as well and switch between them as needed.

Edit - sorry you'd have to get a dvi enabled switch since you mentioned its not vga. You can get a simple vga to dvi adapter for the vga cable for the xbox 360 - I think mine actually came with one in the box - don't remember for sure. But they are dirt cheap and can be found at any computer store.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

I think if 360 was plugged in directly from a VGA output you would only be able to have computer resolutions and not 720p.

360 is hooked up from component to VGA to DVI! (I have the VGA to DVI adapter)

Why didn't they just put more inputs in the TV!

If that is the only option then it's probably easier to just switch cables as and when if I have to worry about booting up one at a time etc.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...Do you know why I can't have a widescreen resolution from the PC? Would it be due to the video card or the TV?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VGA to TV DVI port probably won't work since TV usually uses DVI-D not DVI-I.

You say you only have DVI and S-Cart?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blueyonder
    ...Do you know why I can't have a widescreen resolution from the PC? Would it be due to the video card or the TV?

Thanks.
    Check your TV manual to see which resolutions are supported over the DVI-D input. At a minimum this will be 1920x1080i and 1280x720p.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

Does this mean that I can only get those PC resolutions, or could I get higher if I used a different cable from the PC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm I'll look into this tonight (+9hrs). I think 3Fh means 75Hz refresh for 1280x720p.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much, I appreciate it

philips%20tv.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @blueyonder - fyi you can get 1366x768 resolution via the vga cable from the xbox 360. That is what I get on mine.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but my knowledge only really extends to 800x600, 1024x768 and to a lesser extent 720/1080i/p

I can get 720p or 1080i from the 360 so there's no problem there.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try 1280x720p @50Hz and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1280x720 isn't an option, neither is 1366x768.

Maybe it needs a DVI cable or something, i don't know, but seems odd that i have to have a 4:3 resolution on a 32" widescreen

philips%20tv.pdf
    Quote Quote