VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will show you the basic steps how to make one single mkv from a Blu-ray Disc video, no quality loss. And also how to shrink it to a MKV, MP4 or AVI.

Tools required:
    MakeMKV
    HandBrake (if you want to shrink the movie)
    AnyDVDHD (may be required for some Blu-rays)

Guide
    In MakeMKV choose the Blu-ray drive (if MakeMKV can't read the Blu-ray Disc then you might need to install AnyDVD HD and run in the background).

Just choose the main movie, the biggest title, keep one audio track (I usually keep the AC3 DD audio track)

Save it by click on Make MKV. You need a lot of HDD space, around 10-20GB. This will take around one hour or so. (if MakeMKV can't read the Blu-ray Disc then you might need to install AnyDVD-HD and run in the background)

You can now play the mkv using for example VLC Media Player, KMPlayer or MPC-HC. Or play using Windows Media player with ffdshow and haali media splitter installed.

Shrink it
    If you want to shrink the video you can easily use HandBrake.
    In Handbrake load the mkv, Source->Video File.
    Set output file.
    Choose the High Profile->Film Preset (or use profiles for PS3, Xbox 360, etc)
    Set the desired output file size, Under Video->Target size, like 8100MB for a dual layer DVD-R or 4400MB for standard DVD-R.
    Start CONVERT...wait...wait...wait....sleep....wait...wa it.

Done.

Problems
    MakeMKV might not work with all Blu-ray Discs. Then you can use AnyDVD HD together with TsMuxer to rip out the video to one single MKV, not as simple as MakeMKV though.

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used tsMuxer and then mkvMerge which is basically the long way of doing this guide here.
    The problem is, when I did it the long way the picture was going loopy as I showed in another
    post as well as the audio going out of sync, this way is perfect, everything works spot on and is
    a helluva lot quicker than RipBot if all you're after is an mkv which is what i'm after as I watch
    the finished files from my computer onto my 42". The files may be a little larger than what
    RipBot produce and yes, I know Handbrake can shrink it but my HDD is big enough to cope and
    after a while i'll just use ConvertXtoDVD and burn them onto DL discs so, thank you for this
    excellent guide 8)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will it be faster to encode without including the audio? If so how much less time on average?
    I can use Tsmuxer to mux the audio from the original file and the video from the shrunken file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio encoding is a matter of minutes while video takes many hours
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hours to encode? I have an Intel Q9400 cpu and it took me only 35 minutes to convert a blu-ray to mkv. MakeMKV took a 31gb blu-ray and let me strip out the main movie uncompressed with chapters and multi-channel audio to a mkv file the size of about 10gb.

MakeMKV is to blu-ray as DVDShrink was to DVD's.

PS...this guide is great. thx!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dude you are awesome.
    I have tried so may other things before finally trying this.
    Ive tried so many other tutorials with subpar results.
    Your timing quotes are about the same on my computer.
    About an hour to make the .mkv / Havent tried HB yet.
    Your tutorial actually works. You just made my month.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great tutorial, but i have one question. I know that you get almost perfect quality by converting it to a mkv file using makemkv but my question is if you were to use handbrake to shrink it, does the quality diminish at all? Example shrinking a 8gb blue ray mkv to 4gb or a 4 gb dvd mkv rip to around 2gb or less.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great guide... however I'm having an issue.

I use CloneDrive to mount a Bluray .iso image, then use MakeMKV to do the first pass. Everything is great so far, I can play the file in any number of players.

But when I use handbrake (which I love) to shrink it down, the resulting MKV has no audio track (Even though I select AC3 passthrough).

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have some .mkv files (h264 - dts - 5.1) but they are too large for regular dvd5 disk. I want to resize it at the same format. I used Handbrake but it doesn't resize audio by using the same audio format dts - 5-1. How can i resize my .mkv files.

Also there too many video and audio formats. I want to learn what are the differences between video and audio formats. I couldn't find in the forum.

Thank you for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    kuzutolga: Try uncropmkv. It just shrinks the video part. And for video and audio formats start with wikipedia.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for your help. i am triying
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've tried to make .mkv file smaller by using uncropmkv but it is just crop the movie and resize resulation. For example i have a .mkv file and it comes 12,5gb size. And i want it to be 4,37gb to write it regular dvd disk. But when i try to make it smaller by using handbrake it is not work probably. It make the file smaller but it doesn't use the default audio format as it has.

I need a program which make the .mkv files smaller and use the same audio format (DTS - DTS, AC3 - AC3 etc.).

Thank you for your help again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick , do you have any solution?
    Quote Quote  
  14. You need to change the bitrate, so the output will be smaller. uncropMKV defaults to the original bitrate and unless you change it, the output will be almost as big as the input.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to include 2 audio tracks (default and commentary). I know .mkv can contain multiple audio tracks. Would it work if I selected 2 audio tracks in makeMKV?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Clancy_s
    I'd like to include 2 audio tracks (default and commentary). I know .mkv can contain multiple audio tracks. Would it work if I selected 2 audio tracks in makeMKV?
    Yes, you can select multiple audio tracks with MakeMKV
    Cheers,
    Damian

blog - http://dbone1026.blogspot.com
    contributing editor - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    kuzutolga, you might look into RipBot as it may be more suited to your needs. I would recommend a DL DVD disc, but a SL disc should look OK. One guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358185.html But it may take quite a while to complete the process.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbone1
    Originally Posted by Clancy_s
    Yes, you can select multiple audio tracks with MakeMKV
    Thanks for the reply - I was trying to decide where to start. I'll give makeMKV a go.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I use MakeMKV to backup my Blu-ray discs and select two audio streams like the 2 Channel Stereo and the DTS Audio stream. How do I select which track the .mkv file uses when playing the file? Can I set a default audio stream?

Here is why I'm asking I have an HTPC connected to three TVs via HDMI cables and an HDMI splitter. Only one of the TVs has a receiver the other TVs only use the builtin stereo speakers, so when I play a Blu-ray disc I go into the setting on PowerDVD 9 and set it to either DTS or 2 channel Stereo depending on the TV. I want to backup my Blu-ray collection and use MyMovies.name to play them which is why I want to convert them to .mkv files(Save HD Space), but I would like to still watch the movies with digital sounds through my receiver when I use that TV to watch a movie.

Let me know if what I'm asking is possible. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WPlotkin
    If I use MakeMKV to backup my Blu-ray discs and select two audio streams like the 2 Channel Stereo and the DTS Audio stream. How do I select which track the .mkv file uses when playing the file? Can I set a default audio stream?

Here is why I'm asking I have an HTPC connected to three TVs via HDMI cables and an HDMI splitter. Only one of the TVs has a receiver the other TVs only use the builtin stereo speakers, so when I play a Blu-ray disc I go into the setting on PowerDVD 9 and set it to either DTS or 2 channel Stereo depending on the TV. I want to backup my Blu-ray collection and use MyMovies.name to play them which is why I want to convert them to .mkv files(Save HD Space), but I would like to still watch the movies with digital sounds through my receiver when I use that TV to watch a movie.

Let me know if what I'm asking is possible. Thanks for the help!
    Here is one tool you can use to switch audio streams:

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/advanced-codec-support-inside-media-center-with-media-control.html

I would recommend using Clown_BD to create .ts files of your BRs instead of MakeMKV because with MakeMKV you cannot get the HD Audio track, only the core. Also, keep in mind that many BR discs do not have an AC3 stereo track, it may appear as they do but many times I have found this to be the directors commentary or some other audio. With Clown_BD you can keep the original HD Audio track as well as create an AC3 track (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/08/19/clown_bd-version-0-65-released/).

If you want to keep an as MKV you can still use Clown_BD to demux all the files and create the second AC3 track, then remux into an MKV using MKVMerge
    Cheers,
    Damian

blog - http://dbone1026.blogspot.com
    contributing editor - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I use Clown_BD to create the .ts files will they be just as large as the original BR disc? Will I still need to use something like Handbreak to down size the file? I want to keep my BR backups as small as possible without losing much quality preferably around 5-8GB per movie.

I have used RipBot to backup a few of my BR discs and it did a good job, fast, and small file size, but didn't give me all of the audio streams I wanted. I am currently trying MakeMKV I selected both audio streams I wanted and then resized the file with Handbreak, but this takes forever to complete. Will Clown_BD accomplish all of this in a reasonable amount of time?

Also, are there any downsides to using .ts rather then .mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Clown_BD wont shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi gonna somewhat resurrect this thread.

I am not interested including any subtitles except for forced subtitles. Will these automatically be included? If not, how do you include them?

I'm only looking at the makemkv part, will not be using handbrake.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey BaldRick -

First off. Very nice guide. I was able to follow it. Quick question - does MakeMkv automatically copy the bluray chapters into the Mkv file when its ripped or do I need to check something in the list of tick boxes or is there something else you need to do? If so, can you redirect me to that guide?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeezy123
    Hey BaldRick -

First off. Very nice guide. I was able to follow it. Quick question - does MakeMkv automatically copy the bluray chapters into the Mkv file when its ripped or do I need to check something in the list of tick boxes or is there something else you need to do? If so, can you redirect me to that guide?

Thanks.
    Yep
    # MakeMKV v1.3 build 722
    * Improved support for Blu-ray discs, including support for Blu-ray chapters

but I have not checked how the chapters work.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick - FANTASTIC GUIDE!

I use AnyDVD + Handbrake for regular DVDs, and your instructions are so much more straight forward than some of the instructions I have seen using RipBot264. MakeMKV and Handbrake work very nicely together...

A couple of questions:

(1) Is there any reason the default set up is to ignore chapters that are less than 120seconds in length? Is there any danger of losing content by keeping this filter in place? Intuition tells me that this setting should be set to zero... (but intuition is not always right!)...

(2) The resulting file from your guide (using the Apple Universal preset in HandBrake) yields a file that is about 1.8GB (for a movie that is about 90 minutes long). Every other 90 minute movie I have converted from DVD using AnyDVD+Handbrake has yielded a file that is closer to 1.2GB... I know that there are a lot of variables in play here...but do you have any explanation (or theory) on why a BD conversion using MakeMKV+HandBrake would yield a file that is 50% larger?

Thanks again...your guidance here has been a godsend!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Baldrick,

Thanks for the great guide. I have used this combination quite successfully, however there is a problem. After MakeMKV has ripped and I am asking handbrake to shrink it, it says that it may be copt protected/badly mastered or in a format which handbrake does not support. The MKV file that MakeMKV madeis perfect and run without problem the only problem is that it is 24GB.

Any ideas????

Best Regards... Ali
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using window 7 and HandShake 0.9.4 to shrink my blu-ray movie to smaller file for few weeks , everything went well. Now it fail to work for about a week until now. Thought PC problem, reformat and install window back but still having the same problem. I am wonder anyone is having problem with it or not. Please help.
    Thanks advance.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have noticed that a few guides or comment keep using the phrase "make a single mkv from a blu-ray" and when I read them (and try out) it turns out they just mean make a mkv from a single title within a blu-ray (or DVD). What I actually want to do is to preserve the disc in it's entirety as a single MKV (not 25 or such), which I may then want to shrink depending on it's overall size (which with Blu-ray is quite likely, given how big they are).

So far I haven't quite found the one stop shop. Is there such a thing? Is anyone else wanting this as well?
    Quote Quote  
  30. I used the makemkv succesfully last night on a ripped bluray film at 26gb and the file size came out at 14.9 gb took about 10 minutes then i used handbrake to shrink it down to 4gb avi/xvid took about 4 - 6 hours but the file doesn't work, the music and talking sounds like it has been slowed down but the film runs normally, i am going to try another format and see how that works, its just a pity that you cant specify the size you want it in makemkv
    Quote Quote