VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any support on any current players besides popcorn hour and IstarHD? Price is a still to high
    for me on those...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, you need a media center. Maybe the western digital with a hdd would be something for you, https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! Sounds like just what I need. Have about 400+ anime series in mkv, mp4 etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was looking for a Blu-Ray player and came across a review for the LG-BD370 on amazon where someone said it plays H264 files with the mkv container. Anyone know if this is really true? There aren't that many reviews for the BD370 so far, but if it definitely does, that would be awesome!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am HIGHLY dubious of those claims for the LG player. To date there are ZERO BluRay players that support MKV containers. The LG would be the first. Sometimes people just lie in reviews, or they are stupid and seriously mistaken or they just repeat what others told them. I remember some years ago that a guy insisted that a particular Apex DVD player would play DVD format video on CD-R discs (also known as "miniDVD") in an Apex forum. I sent him email and asked him what firmware he had and pointed out to him what firmware I had and how my player had refused to play such discs. He wrote back and told me that he didn't actually have the player, he just read that it would play miniDVD. So that illustrates how you can't trust what people say in reviews like that. I'd want to see independent confirmation from a trustworthy site that does professional reviews of hardware.

Even if the LG does play MKV files with H.264, there will surely be limits and you won't be able to get everything you download to work. Typically DTS playback in MKV is a real bitch as DTS uses a very high bit rate and already takes a lot of processing power to decode H.264. Having to decode DTS on top of that can be too much for some media playback devices that do support H.264 in MKV. Some of the high def audio formats may be poorly or not at all supported for MKV playback. I don't know a lot about this, but I've also read that some people encode H.264 with certain video settings that aren't compatible with BluRay and those currently almost never playback on any device that supports MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless playing on the PC or Popcorn Hour, forget using the MKV container( for now), use MP4/h.264 instead...The PS3 for one, is happy to play it (disc or streamed), providing as noted, they are compatible.. There are a few apps with preset profiles for player type compatibility....Megui, Xvid4PSP, avidemux, etc..
    JM2cents..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried doing a bit more research into this, and found a thread over at the AVSFORUM about the LG- BD370. It appears that the european version plays mkv files, but the US version does not, but the BD390 coming out soon is supposed to support mkv in both the US and European releases (according to the user's guide at the very least).... don't really know how much truth is in this, since the BD370 is still relatively new. Guess I'll wait and see.
    Quote Quote