VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded a movie with my Panasonic DMR-ES10 standalone dvd recorder, and after the recording was done, when finalizing the disk, there was an error. Now the dvd player says the disc is unformatted, and it wonīt finalize it either. If I insert it into my computer dvd drive it says itīs a blank disk.

How can I recover the video ??

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Isobuster
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've had my DVD player play discs that failed to complete the finalization. Sometimes it will play them and sometimes it won't, it depends on how far through the finalization they got. Sometimes they play first try and sometimes I have to load them a few times before they play. I've never been able to get the DVD recorder or PC to read them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. cdroller is another choice, that some report works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the US version of the same model, and on a couple of instances when finalization failed, I was able to recover the data. The fact that the DVD looks unformatted does not bode well for recovery, but here's the procedure that worked for me using the free version of ISOBuster, plus the free programs IFOEdit, and VOBEdit:

1. Open ISOBuster
    2. Select DVD drive (If you can see "Track 01" in the left hand pane, it can recover at least some of your data)
    3. Open Options menu
    4. Select "Image File"
    4. Select "ISO/BIN/TAO" Tab
    5. Uncheck both boxes
    6. Close dialog window
    7. Right click on "Track 01" in left-hand pane
    8. Select "Extract Track 01"
    9. Select "Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav)"
    10. Choose where you want to save the data. (It will copy everything it can find as one big .tao file)
    11. Use VOBEdit to open and then demultiplex the .tao file
    12. You can edit and author the video and audio you demultiplexed using your favorite editing/authoring package.
    Alternately, use IFOEdit to author a menuless DVD from the demultiplexed audio and video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    I have the US version of the same model, and on a couple of instances when finalization failed, I was able to recover the data. The fact that the DVD looks unformatted does not bode well for recovery, but here's the procedure that worked for me using the free version of ISOBuster, plus the free programs IFOEdit, and VOBEdit:

1. Open ISOBuster
    2. Select DVD drive (If you can see "Track 01" in the left hand pane, it can recover at least some of your data)
    3. Open Options menu
    4. Select "Image File"
    4. Select "ISO/BIN/TAO" Tab
    5. Uncheck both boxes
    6. Close dialog window
    7. Right click on "Track 01" in left-hand pane
    8. Select "Extract Track 01"
    9. Select "Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav)"
    10. Choose where you want to save the data. (It will copy everything it can find as one big .tao file)
    11. Use VOBEdit to open and then demultiplex the .tao file
    12. You can edit and author the video and audio you demultiplexed using your favorite editing/authoring package.
    Alternately, use IFOEdit to author a menuless DVD from the demultiplexed audio and video.
    That worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!!
    Quote Quote