VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used DVD Shrink more than 30 times in the past few years without problem. This week, after not using DVD Shrink for almost 3 months, the computer shuts off at about the 50% (about 12 minutes) into the analyze part of the program. One second the power is on, the next second it's off. This does not happen with any other program that runs unattended for a long time (e.g., virus scan). When I push the power button, the computer starts up with what appears to be a normal boot process. I can't think of anything I have done to cause this problem except possibly updating to SP3 for Windows XP Professional. My attempts to fix the problem have been fruitless: uninstalling and reinstalling DVD Shrink, setting the power saver to "never," running anti-malware programs. Being not very wise about computers, I'm asking for suggestions as to what could be wrong and how to fix it. - Paul in San Francisco
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked the event viewer logs? Control Panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management and then under System Tools->Event Viewer->Application or System and see if it mentions any errors.

Are you ripping directly from your dvd reader or from the hdd(iso or video_Ts folder)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink uses 100% cpu.
    You may be overheating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^ yep, time to clean your HSF and make sure the fan is actually spinning. You heatsink goop may also need replacing. Reseating your memory might help. Your power supply may be going out if the the previous steps don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the three replies. When I get time I am going to try them all, starting with the fan because, since you mention it, the box has been noticeably quieter lately. Paul in San Francisco
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Solved. Thank you, people. Both fans were already running, but I blew out all the dust anyway. I also disabled everything that might be using CPU (especially the wireless internet connection) and one or both of these things made DVD Shrink work again to completion. Thanks also to Baldrick, who pointed me to a diagnostic tool I was completely unaware of before.
    Paul in San Francisco
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Have you checked the event viewer logs? Control Panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management and then under System Tools->Event Viewer->Application or System and see if it mentions any errors.

Are you ripping directly from your dvd reader or from the hdd(iso or video_Ts folder)?

I've just tried this method, and there's loads of errors on my PC. How do I correct them?????????????
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dialysis1a
    DVD Shrink uses 100% cpu.
    You may be overheating.
    Are you sure about that ? I don't multitask while using Shrink, but never saw an indication of this -- unlike, say, ConvertX on max priority, where you can clearly see that the computer is totally wrapped up in that one task, without needing to consult a process monitor. I'm wondering if this would still apply if one has two or more cores, on a faster cpu ?

Originally Posted by Captain Howdy
    I've just tried this method, and there's loads of errors on my PC. How do I correct them?????????????
    There are different kinds of errors that show up in the Event Logs. Some are just informational. The ones more to worry about are the ones marked in red, and with any of them you need to look over the individual error details. If they are in unfamiliar technospeak, try quoting them in a Google search, and you'll probably find some more useful info.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote