VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Streaming Playback

I want to pay around 40-60 dollars because i dont have much more to spend on a dvd player even with these amazing usb features

Also, please make sure it has a usb port with video playback. One major aspect that i would enjoy greatly but no need is mp4 video support cause all my videos are in that format

It needs to be able to stream videos off of my 320 gig western digital harddrive.

Please tell me the name of any dvd player that has the following features and compatibilities. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IF u could find me a link to an instore website cause i prefer for this anyway instore over online

thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean that your videos are in MP4 containers, you are out of luck. I'm not aware of any current DVD players that support MP4 containers. When DVD players say that they support "MPEG-4" this is a code word meaning that they support Divx and Xvid in AVI containers and nothing else. Divx is a trademark and DVD player manufacturers are sometimes too cheap to pay to use it and too cheap to have their players certified by Divx, so they use "MPEG-4" as a code word to mean Divx/Xvid support.

If by "video streaming playback" you mean that you want to stream media over some kind of network, at this time there is nothing even close to your price range that can do that.

With any DVD player being used to play Divx/Xvid, our sticky with warnings about potential playback problems should be consulted PRIOR to purchase.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so im gonna need to convert the 508 videos i want for my "dvd player" to that format what a doozy. no i want a dvd player that has a usb port and when i connect my harddrive into it, it plays the videos on it. in this guyess divx? i guess
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WTF is that last post about? Guyess??? And you simply repeated your question, which had been answered very succinctly.

Just set up a batch conversion and forget about it. You know that you're not in any rush to watch all 508 vids, so do them nightly. Use autogk or any other 1-click method.

Get a WD TV (no conversion) or a Philips 5990 (convert to (xvid)

Cheap. Best. Does Everything. They are all mutually exclusive, especially with your definition of cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    look supreme calm down. he didnt know what i meant by streaming. i dont want any network crap. the philips model has been discontinued and cannot be found anywhere around town. i was trying to say that the format would have to be converted to divx. and whats this batch connection. whats this autogk.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you can spend about $100, the Western Digital HDTV (mentioned by Supreme2k) would definitely do what you want without conversion. It can play MP4 containers. It has no ability to play anything but USB media like flash drives or disk drives. No disc playing support though. Depending on your needs, it can be a great solution. I bought one in November and I think it is some of the best money I ever spent. I play stuff from USB flash drives on it and it works great for my needs.

Please be sure that your movies are really and truly MP4 container videos and not just Divx/Xvid AVIs that you are calling MP4 files. If they are really Divx/Xvid files, you may not have to convert anything and Philips makes some DVD players that can play Divx/Xvid over USB as you wish. You need to find out more about the format of your videos. The free program GSpot might be helpful here. Again, please refer to the sticky before buying any DVD player (the WD HDTV we talked about is NOT a DVD player) for Divx/Xvid playback to be sure you won't have a lot of playback issues.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you Jman. ill talk to my parents. i never wanted this thing for its feature to play dvds. i just wanted the usb feature. also, do i use gspot to know if my files are mp4 or mp4 divx. ok ill see. thanks again. i converted my mp4s from rmvb. ill look into it

EDIT: IS THIS IT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136325&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_m...sBox-_-NA-_-NA
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the Newegg link is indeed the WD HD TV player I talked about.

Take one of your files and open it in GSpot and post a photo (please don't shrink the resolution of the photo - we need to see everything in it) here of what GSpot tells you and we can help you to figure out what you're working with.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    um how do i take a photo of it
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind. If you need help with that, it's not really worth it to me to go down this path any more with you. Good luck.

You know there is such a thing as Google where you might try a search on "screen capture" (hint hint) but that would sort of assume that you're actually willing to do something yourself instead of having everyone else do your work for you. However, if you do figure it out, please note the "Upload image/file:" option right above Preview and Quick Reply when composing a message here. That might be useful to you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you know what screw u *******. damn. screw the player. god i was just askking for some help. damn u r so mean. screw u
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who's the one being mean? Jman98 took a lot of time to try to help you out, but simply grew exasperated when it became clear that you required extensive explanations for simple tasks that you could find out on your own just by doing a basic web search. Just because someone's patience is not infinite does not mean they're being mean.

No good deed goes unpunished...
    Quote Quote