VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to convert .mkv to .mp4, any suggestions?

my .mkv has a video with AVC and audio ac3. it is about 4GB in size.

I want to convert it into .mp4 with h264 for video and AAC for audio but it's ok if the audio will still be ac3. I also want it to still have good quality as 1GB+, not much loss of quality.

I chose .mp4 with h264 because i think it can make big files into a smaller size while retaining the great quality. or if not, maybe you can suggest another.

If the codec for the video is h264, can you also give me a guide or something to configure the codec?

Any suggestions? Can you also suggest me a software?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake. Click on it for guides.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 has little to do with the quality. The codec that compresses the video is what does the work. In your case, your video is probably already compressed with H264, however you should confirm that with MediaInfo.

The chances of reducing a file to only 25% of the source size, and retaining the source quality, is pretty slim. Something will have to give. I would suggest that you will probably have sacrifice resolution. Again, you have to look at the source resolution to see what you may have to change.

Reducing the file to only 1GB while retaining AC3 audio, especially 5.1 audio, means sacrificing more image quality because the audio will need more space. Again, everything is a trade off.

Normally I would suggest Xvid4PSP, however it cannot put AC3 in an MP4 container (yet). However if you are happy to convert the audio to AAC 2 channel then it is a great tool for conversion.

To get a pre-determined file size you will have to use a bitrate calculator to work out what bitrate you need to use for video encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    MP4 has little to do with the quality. The codec that compresses the video is what does the work. In your case, your video is probably already compressed with H264, however you should confirm that with MediaInfo.

The chances of reducing a file to only 25% of the source size, and retaining the source quality, is pretty slim. Something will have to give. I would suggest that you will probably have sacrifice resolution. Again, you have to look at the source resolution to see what you may have to change.

Reducing the file to only 1GB while retaining AC3 audio, especially 5.1 audio, means sacrificing more image quality because the audio will need more space. Again, everything is a trade off.

Normally I would suggest Xvid4PSP, however it cannot put AC3 in an MP4 container (yet). However if you are happy to convert the audio to AAC 2 channel then it is a great tool for conversion.

To get a pre-determined file size you will have to use a bitrate calculator to work out what bitrate you need to use for video encoding.
    used mediainfo and the video is AVC. maybe i should get a guide on configuring H264.

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Handbrake. Click on it for guides.
    ok ill try that. thanks.
    Quote Quote