VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was just wondering if anyone knew how or with what software that I can re encode my MKV (~25 minutes average + .ass/.ssa/.srt subtitles) that are around 200+ mb. each down to less than 100. I have two different MKV files of the same video, one is 200 megabytes and the other one is 60, and the 60 meg has the same subtitles, and the actual size of the video screen playing is just barely smaller than the larger files screen. Trying to save space on my computer ^.^ I cant seem to find any guides on the internet which is surprising. If anyone has one, or knows of software that can help, it would be much appreciated. Here's a list of what I do use:
    Converting: audialhub, Handbrake-> i use this to convert to MKV. MKVtoolnix -> mux subtitle files to MKV files.

Thats about all I can do, just looking for a way to shrink, with minimal loss in video quality. I've heard that I need to cut resolution as a start, and smooth the video out. whatever smoothing means. Its just a lot of complicated stuff that I'm new to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to supply more details on the videos to be able to assess the likely damage. But I seriously doubt that you can reduce the size by 50% without a noticeable drop in quality unless the original is using a stupidly high bitrate, or already has a very low resolution.

Personally, I would go and buy a cheap external HDD and use that for storage. Far better solution than crushing perfectly good video.

However if you are not convinced, start by posting detailed specs of the 200 and 60 MB files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote