VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm setting up an i7 system and read several comments that hyperthreading doesn't increase speed but does increase CPU temperatures. I tryed some simple tests. I transcoded a DVD with DVD Shrink,a simple transcode took 2m20s with HT on and off,both took 2m20s. CPU temperature was the same but individual core temperatures were 10-15 degrees lower.
    Then I tryed a transcode using adaptive encoding,time was 7m56s with HT,and 7m47s with HT off. Same temperature results.
    Then I encoded a BD disk with BD Rebuilder. It took 3h52m with HT on,repeated the encode with HT off took 4h19m. HT helped.
    Temperatures with BD Rebuilder were very different. With HT off CPU temperatures were at least 10C lower and individual core temperatures were 15-20C lower with HT off. I'm inclined to leave HT off? I'm overclocking at 3.8Ghz,181 clock and Turbo on resulting in 3.8Ghz. Everything is at default settings except I set the Northbridge frequency at 3000.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on the application, and how it scales with multiple cores. You can get anywhere from -5 to +50% performance difference depending on how the app was coded.

For example, BD Rebuilder uses x264 which scales much better than DVD Shrink; even so you probably have some filters in the process chain which limits it's efficiency, and some options of x264 are not multithreaded (e.g. --b-adapt 2), which become the bottleneck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. wulf109, what type of i7 system are you setting up? My computer is starting to show its age and was looking into the new i7s. And those are some fantasic encoding times.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's an i7-920 in a Gigabyte X58-UD5 M/B with 6Gb's of DDR3 memory overclocked to 3.8Ghz. It's certainly fast,my E8400 overclocked to 3.6Ghz takes 12-14 hours to convert a BlueRay disk,this does it in 4 hours. A typical DVD transcode with DVD Shrink was 4-5 minutes,now it's 2m 20s. I'm not a gamer but the more CPU intensive your app the faster it seems. A good cooler is needed,I started with the stock cooler modified with 3000RPM 95mm fan and that worked OK even at 3.8Ghz. I upgraded to a Coolermaster N520 and while it did not bring down my idle temp(32C) it did bring my load temps down by 5-6C. I was hitting the low 50's but now in low 40's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was looking at the gigabyte mbs. If you don't mind me asking, approx. how much did it cost?

Right now I have a Athlon 64x2 4200+ and it takes about 24 hrs to encode a blu ray disc! Of course the computer is about 3 yrs old. Planning on building a new system within the next month. Thanks again for the info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought my components from newegg.com,the M/B was $290,CPU $290,memory G.Skill 1600 6Gb was $95. Highly recommend newegg,excellent website,selection,and prices. If you plan to overclock use DDR3-1600.
    Quote Quote  
  7. newegg is the best. best prices around and great service. i've been using them for years. thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    A typical DVD transcode with DVD Shrink was 4-5 minutes,now it's 2m 20s. I'm not a gamer but the more CPU intensive your app the faster it seems. A good cooler is needed,I started with the stock cooler modified with 3000RPM 95mm fan and that worked OK even at 3.8Ghz. I upgraded to a Coolermaster N520 and while it did not bring down my idle temp(32C) it did bring my load temps down by 5-6C. I was hitting the low 50's but now in low 40's.
    My Q9550 overclocked to 3.60ghz takes 2 1/2 minutes with DVD SHRINK.
    Thermalright TRUE is considered a good heatsink & very popular with overclockers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My test was with a 3 hour TV episode disk,movie disks are faster. I'd be very curious what time you'd get using a 3 hour TV episode disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    My test was with a 3 hour TV episode disk,movie disks are faster. I'd be very curious what time you'd get using a 3 hour TV episode disk.
    Is it a 3 hour tv episode commercial dvd disc? If that's what you're asking then I don't own any 3 hour tv episode commercial dvd disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. budz, have you done a blu ray encode? If so, what are your times?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla
    budz, have you done a blu ray encode? If so, what are your times?
    Nope I don't own a blu-ray drive just yet. I haven't been able to keep up with the latest on converting blu-ray discs although I own a Panasonic standalone blu-ray player. I'm too busy doing other computer stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found a post on this forum,from someone converting blueray with a Q9550 using Ripbot. The screen shot shows it in the first pass at 7.16 fps,don't if it's stock speed or O/C. My i7 in the first pass was running 30fp,faster than real time. The results I got converting Blueray was 1.6 time on the first pass and .80 on the second pass,resulting in a 4hour encode time.
    The speed using DVD Shrink seem comparable between a Q9550 and an i7,sure wish someone would report thier real time test using a Q9550.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Would that really be fair though, putting an i7 920 up against a Q9550? They are two different speeds. If you really wanted to know the difference between core 2 quad and core i7 wouldn't you put the i7 up against the Q9400 (both 2.66)? Try to keep everything else the same. Then you would really see the advantages between the two.

I was wondering if I could save a couple of hundred and go with a core 2 quad and still get good speeds. 4 hours is great for a blu ray encode, but if I could save about $300 and get results in the 4 to 8 hour time bracket for encodes, that would make me happy.

Also, what setting do you have selected for BD Rebuilder: Good, Better, High Quality, or Highest? I have it set at Highest on my Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200 (2.20ghz) and it takes anywhere between 24 to 48 hours to encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have BD Rebiulder at it's default setting,"high quality" and it produces excellent results encoding to a DVD-DL.
    As far as cost that's an indivual decision. I'd wait till the 3rd quarter to see if i7 and motherboards go down in price. i5 CPU's should available at the end of the year and they and their motherboards should me much lower in cost. Why invest $300.00 in old technology. when it might buy an i5 system at the end of the year.
    There are good i7 motherboards available now for $200.00,including gigabyte. 3GB of memory is $60,not much you can save on the CPU,Intel is still quite greedy.
    Quote Quote