VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know that with certain audio cassette decks it's important to run them periodically so that they don't "gunk up". But I was just wondering if this is the case with VCRs. The VCRs in question are JVC S-VHS models, and one of them is simply a backup unit that I don't plan on using until something happens to my main unit.

The backup was in perfect condition the last time I used it, but that was some time ago. Should I be running it from time to time, or is it ok just to keep it in the box? I'd obviously prefer the latter, but the most important thing for me is to keep it in good working order.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VCRs have rubber parts inside that will deteriorate after time whether it is used or not. Since it is a mechanical transport system, there is also grease and oil that will dry up and possibly harden over time. Most electronic components are stable, but capacitors can fail with age because they have oil inside them. It is a good idea to operate it once in a while to see if there are any issues - you do not want to take it out of the box when you desperately need it and find out that it is not working.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. All bets are off when it comes to a JVC svhs: you'll be lucky if it doesn't rip your fingernails out and feed them to you next time you open the box, never mind it still playing a tape properly. For long-term "sit in the box for ten years and still work" backup VCRs, supplement your JVC with a Panasonic or Mitsubishi. Better safe than sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    All bets are off when it comes to a JVC svhs: you'll be lucky if it doesn't rip your fingernails out and feed them to you next time you open the box, never mind it still playing a tape properly. For long-term "sit in the box for ten years and still work" backup VCRs, supplement your JVC with a Panasonic or Mitsubishi. Better safe than sorry.
    Hi,

I hope this will be deemed sufficiently on-topic. I have a JVC svhs deck that I purchased used a couple years back. Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact model # -- or get at it easily -- since it is in a storage facility with plenty of other stuff around or on top of it. However, it has a handsome wood paneling that makes it look really sharp (but so what . . . ), which may have influenced that purchase in a weak moment. (I'm thinking something like an 8000 or 8500 ?) I'm also thinking they may not have made more than one model that looked like it. It was probably not one of the svhs JVCs that people most looked for re VHS xfer jobs. If it had built-in TBC (possible), they may have done that a lot better in later models. But I thought you might be able to recognize it right away from that description. I went on eBay a few times, looking for a listing with a photo, which would have settled the matter, but there weren't any.

Suppose you had a local place that could test and service this deck for not more than about 80 bucks. (I did, if they're still in business.) Is that worth doing, or should I just unload it ? I do have a Panny svhs that I could use for some xfers I'll be doing. It's pretty decent, but no AG-1970 or 1980 -- and certainly no built-in TBC.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Funny, I think I had that same JVC deck at some point: the black front panel and polished wood sides being the only nice things I remember fondly about it (it gave me a LOT of trouble, but then so did my other dozen JVCs over the years). Since you already own it and its been sitting under a mountain of other stuff, why bother digging it out? Leave it there until you think you need it, or unless you suddenly see them selling a t lucrative prices on eBay again and want to cash in (you would need to know the model though- the wood panels hint it might be an x700?) I have had no trouble with long-term storage of several Panasonic and Mitsubishi units, at all different price points: every year I pull them out when I have extra down time to run multiple VHS-to-DVD setups.

As you suggest, yes, with JVCs serviceability is the key- if you have a reasonable expectation that a local service center that really knows how to fix the prima-dona JVCs (as opposed to generic vcrs) will still be around in ten years, then a JVC sitting in storage that long should be OK. If you are one of the "JVC blessed" users, like LordSmurf or a few other members here, it may not matter what you do and you'll have excellent performance from the machine next time you use it. I myself am "JVC cursed" and have never had a minute's peace with any "classic" JVC I've ever owned (although oddly, the throwaway VCR built into my DRM-V5 combo recorders works quite well). The two "new in box" backup JVCs I had in storage for a few years (a 9911 and the 376 industrial unit) were defective when I put them back into use awhile back, I packed them right back up and just sold them at a loss because my experience getting JVCs repaired has not been encouraging. Based on that and reports on forums like this, I'd say its open-and-shut, black-and-white: if your JVC works well, you will love it like crazy, but if its acting up, get rid of it and move to another state where it can't find you again. The same applies to storage considerations.
    Quote Quote