VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope someone can help me out with this. I have some DVDs I need to make with two audio streams (English and Spanish). I've made plenty of DVDs in the past, but I have never used multiple audio streams. Is this a common feature on DVD authoring software, or does only the more expensive, higher-end software do it? All I need is the ability to create simple menus, chapters, and two audio streams; nothing too fancy. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

This is for a long term project, with more DVDs being made every few months. There isn't a large budget for it, so cheaper is better. Also, the responsibility will eventually be going to someone else, so a relatively simple learning curve would be better as well.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe is gui for dvdauthor enough.

Or else would I probably use tmpgenc authoring works or ulead dvd workshop or dvd-lab pro.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Gui for dvdauthor would be enough (the required functionality is there). But the learning curve is considered very unequal by different users. It spans comments like the one from Robert Simandl:
    ...it's ridiculously easy to use...
    to the post from ZQX:
    ...GUI4DVDAuthor is a bitch for a newbie to negotiate...
    Therefore: Just try it and decide yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for GfD.

The help is extensive: start with http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/GettingStarted.html
    Audio tracks are selected by default if they have the same name as the video, but you can add others or change these.

After preparing the fileset, use ImgBurn to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded Gui for dvdauthor as suggested and gave it a try. It's not as easy to use as I would like, but it will do the job with one exception. Using a test video, I was able to make a DVD with two audio streams that I could switch with the audio button on the remote. However, it would be much better if I could create a menu where I could choose the audio stream at the beginning. Is that possible with GfD?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Maybe is gui for dvdauthor enough.

Or else would I probably use tmpgenc authoring works or ulead dvd workshop or dvd-lab pro.
    For only two audio streams, I second TMPGEnc Authoring Works since it creates the menu links itself and all you have to do is name them (same with subtitles) with no XML editing. If you only have the feature to do then by using the "track menu only" and "title in track menu" options that will give you a main menu page (the title menu) with links to chapters and setup. It has smart rendering so it will only encode the menus if you give it MPEG2 video and AC3, MP2 or PCM audio (not sure about DTS). As such it works great for giving a menu to a movie-only backup (especially helpful when it has 2 audio streams and/or subtitles).

If you have more than one movie on a disc or extra content, on the other hand, the template format means that you either have to put them on seperate tracks or in the same track as the movie. If you put it in the same track as the movie then it gets authored as yet another chapter rather than a seperate title so it will show up in the "track menu" which would function as your chapter menu and I'm not sure how to ad links on the title page to get to specific chapters. If you put it in a seperate track then you'll wind up with a title page for that seperate track as well but you'll also have the track menu even if you don't have chapters for a special feature or multiple special features. It is great for episodic material using "top and track menu".

I would also recommend DVDAuthorGUI. The menu editor lets you pick which audio track to play with which button option but the menu editing. I haven't used it in a while but last time I did use it the menu editor was not quite as sophistocated as say DVDLab Pro. It also does(did?) not handle multiple VTS but you might not need that unless you have more than one video file and they have different video aspect ratios.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...create a menu where I could choose the audio stream at the beginning. Is that possible with GfD?

Yes. But there are 'pitfalls'. If you want to choose the audio on the main menu, you need to use a general purpose register to hold the value. Or skip the main menu and use a titlesetmenu as the 'start selection'. If you have several movies, you can do the selection for each movie individually in an own menu for each title. Furthermore it depends on the authoring engine you use (dvdauthor or muxman).
    Here is a (rather old) guide if dvdauthor is used:
    http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/1FilmAndSubmenus.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to dig up an old thread, but are there no other programs similar to TMPGEnc that will handle *custom* menus & sub-menus (like audio selection, for example)? DVDFlick would be ok, but trying to change those template is a ROYAL pain! I have yet to get one right. I looked at the tutorial on DVDAuthorGUI and again, what a pain! TMPGEnc could NOT be more simple or versatile - the only problem is its audio stream limitations (which is just plain STUPID!) I also tried Xilisoft - again, handles the audio fine, but what CRAPPY preset menus! Do these companies have no DESIGNERS working for them???! Do they not try to USE what they put out?

I just do NOT understand why people have made something that should be SO simple, so utterly complex. Someone please tell me there are new programs that will do these since this was started

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you haven't figured it out yet...

Simplicity = limitations
    Customization = learning curve

You will feel much better about yourself if you conquer the learning curves of superior software.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @filmboss80, that is one of the MOST unhelpful answers I have *ever* seen on this site.

I HAVE read the manuals/instructions/tutorials - ANYTHING is easy when you know what you are doing! I'm sure there are quite a few things I could school you on in areas you are not familiar with, but they're EASY to me!

I tried GDA and while it also accepts multiple audio streams, again, the menu system is next to impossible to work. What I am asking SHOULD be simple and *certainly* nothing out of the ordinary. I've also tried Roxio Creator/MyDVD - garbage, as well as Sony DVD Author Studio - limited to *1* audio track.

This isn't freaking rocket science. All the parts are there, I don't understand why there isn't a program that has put them together in a simple format. That is NOT much to ask.

Neither is asking for assistance instead of smart@$$ answers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    @filmboss80, that is one of the MOST unhelpful answers I have *ever* seen on this site.
    With all due respect, and I truly wish you no ill will, I think you are way off base here. I think filmboss80's answer is very helpful and honest.

I don't want to insult you, but for a guy who joined the forum a long time ago, you really seem to need a LOT more handholding with this than we would have expected. GfD works well for a lot of people. Personally, I trained myself years ago to use Scenarist and I'm comfortable with it. There is no way I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an easy to use program, but it certain can do what you want. Yes, Roxio sucks big time.

Bottom line - You need to pay attention to Baldrick's helpful suggestion. If you can't get anywhere with one of those programs, I'm sorry but you are just going to have to pay someone to do this for you.

And just what the heck are you doing graverobbing this thread anyway? Geez man, you're really not making a case here that you're worth us trying to help. You might spend a little less time bitching and little more time checking out what Baldrick talked about in 2009.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jman: Well I *did* apologize for resurrecting it And I only continued it because it came up with the specific problem I'm having.

Yes, I joined quite a while back (hadn't really realized it had been THAT long), but I haven't been extremely active (it's not like I make a living with these proggies, lol)

I'll give Ulead a look (I must've missed that in Baldrick's post). I also looked at this guide for DVDLab (http://www.photosyndikat.de/guides/MultiAudio.htm) and while it appears to provide 90% of what I'm looking for, I'd prefer not to have those 5sec black screens - I don't understand why you couldn't just start the movie with that audio selected (if someone has the answer to that, then maybe I can use that).

As I said, it's frustrating that TMPGEnc won't handle more than two streams (other that Flick/Styler/etc) don't handle custom menus/buttons. I *could* just author it in TMPGEnc and then replace everything with VOBBlanker, but then I can't get the audio selection menu I'd like (and that is NOT a deal-breaker), so if all else fails, that's what I'll do.
    Quote Quote