VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I purchased the Philips DVP5990 the other day from Best Buy with the hopes of connecting it to a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB external hard drive. The hard drive is partitioned into about 6 equal sizes and each is formatted to FAT32. At first, everything worked great, but all of a sudden it stopped reading one of the partitions, then it stopped reading all of the partitions. I called Philips and described the situation, they told me it sounded like the player was messed up and sent me a new one. I'm having the EXACT same problems with the new one. To test out the DVD player, I inserted a regular DVD, it played fine; then, I tried using a 2GB flash drive, it also worked fine. I would think that maybe it can't support my external hard drive except for the fact that it initially did. The DVD player recognizes the hard drive when I connect the two. It shows all of the files in each partition along with the folders. Whenever I click on a file to play it either nothing happens or the screen will go to the load screen (but it won't say loading) for about a second and then revert back to the choose file screen. Also, when I click on any of the folders, instead of showing the files it just shows more folders that each have gibberish names. I have absolutely no clue what else I can do. I called Philips again and they were also at a loss. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here????
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does the external drive have its own power supply? If you are getting power from the DVD player via the USB cable it may not be getting quite enough.

Are the partitions corrupt? Can you view them and play files from Windows still?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the external hard drive has its own power.

As for the files, to my knowledge they all play in windows. I've watched some of them recently on the computer, but there are too many for me to test them all. I did run a check on the hard drive to make sure nothing was wrong and it said it was working properly...
    Quote Quote