VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hey all, I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit, capturing home videos from my Sony TRV22 via firewire, using Vista's very simply Import Video wizrd. I can capture everything just fine, quality is great, not many dropped frames, everything works like a charm, but it doesn't capture the date/time display from the camcorder. I'm ripping these to my pc for archiving purposes, and must have the date/time on there, or else we'll never know when they were taken!

The display is turned on on the camcorder, because it displays fine on the TV and such. But is there any way to get windows to capture that display? If not, is there some 3rd party capture app that would let me do it?

If we're going with a 3rd party app, I don't want anything too complicated. I simply want to capture each tape as a whole video, to the highest quality possible, no loss. I have a huge hard drive, so space is not an issue. And of course, free would be nice.
    :cool: Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes. :cool:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if these work with 64bit Vista, but they're free so you don't lose anything by trying.

Enosoft DV Processor

Captureflux

...and for already captured DV-AVIs, there's DVDate and more such apps under https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dv
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ours does work with Vista 64...
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    Not sure if these work with 64bit Vista, but they're free so you don't lose anything by trying.

Enosoft DV Processor

Captureflux

...and for already captured DV-AVIs, there's DVDate and more such apps under https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dv
    Oo, DVDate, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Ours does work with Vista 64...
    So you're saying that your import video function DOES capture the date time on the video? I wonder if it's the make of camcorder that is causing it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To clarify your question...
    Are you saying you want the Date and Time to display on the video like you see in the viewscreen on the camera, and be part of the video like hard coded subtitles?
    Or are you asking if the Date and Time are contained in the data stream when capsferring and you would like a way to view that data as if you were viewing it on the camera viewscreen, but not make it part of the video, like selectable subtitles?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    To clarify your question...
    Are you saying you want the Date and Time to display on the video like you see in the viewscreen on the camera, and be part of the video like hard coded subtitles?
    Or are you asking if the Date and Date are contained in the data stream when capsferring and you would like a way to view that data as if you were viewing it on the camera viewscreen, but not make it part of the video, like selectable subtitles?
    Ah very good question. I'll clarify. I would prefer that it be embedded in the video like hard coded subtitles. But the other way would be an alternative I'd be willing to settle with if I had to. I plan on having these be long term archives that I will copy from mirrored drives as the mirrors fail, so I'd like them to be as timeless as possible. In other words, I don't want to have to rely on some outdated software or OS to read the date codes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by frankmaster100
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    So you're saying that your import video function DOES capture the date time on the video? I wonder if it's the make of camcorder that is causing it.
    It isn't your camcorder. DV camcorders use the information on the tape to create the date/time on the display after it has decoded the video. When sending via FireWire, just what is on the tape is sent so most media players won't show anything other than the video. Our program basically does what the camcorder does - it reads the date/time hidden in the DV stream and burns it into the video (if you want it to!) It will do it during the capture process giving you a DV AVI file with the date/time burned into the video. You can also burn the date/time into existing DV AVI files.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by frankmaster100
    It isn't your camcorder. DV camcorders use the information on the tape to create the date/time on the display after it has decoded the video. When sending via FireWire, just what is on the tape is sent so most media players won't show anything other than the video. Our program basically does what the camcorder does - it reads the date/time hidden in the DV stream and burns it into the video (if you want it to!) It will do it during the capture process giving you a DV AVI file with the date/time burned into the video. You can also burn the date/time into existing DV AVI files.
    Ah thanks. I'll have to give it a try, that's exactly what I need to do. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Maybe stating the obvious, but note that burning them into the video means that if at some future date you want to use the footage for anything other than viewing the memories it will be difficult/impossible to remove them.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Maybe stating the obvious, but note that burning them into the video means that if at some future date you want to use the footage for anything other than viewing the memories it will be difficult/impossible to remove them.
    Yes, and I've fought myself over that time and time again, because these are videos of my kids, and know that sometime 10 years down the road I'm going to want to use some of this footage in a wedding video or something, but I just don't want to risk losing the date data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One solution might be to just have the time/date display for X number of seconds on each new scene rather than all the way through. I know DVDate (and CaptureFlux) can do this, Enosoft DV Processor doesn't have specific settings for this but you can probably do it manually (unless John comes up with a spiffy solution.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Or archive 2 copies, one with and one without...
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you go the soft subs route, DVDatecode outputs sub files that you could use. You could store these with the DV-AVI for future use.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    (unless John comes up with a spiffy solution.)
    Someone asked about that earlier this year but things seemed to fizzle out. It's certainly possible...

frankmaster100 - do you intend to archive your tapes to a different format such as MPEG2? If not - i.e., keep them as DV files - then all the data will be there and instead of relying on availability of software in the future, you'll be able to send the files back to the camcorder and see the date on its screen (no need to record). Of course, that assumes the camcorder will still be around. Even if the heads etc are screwed, it won't matter. Just a thought.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  16. These are all good ideas, I guess I have some deciding to do. I definitely don't want to archive two copies, and hoping that I'll have a camcorder around to get the data later down the road isn't the option. My first priority is to have the dates there, as I'm not a big video producer or anything, these are just for archival purposes.

But John, I do have a question for you. I downloaded the software, and it looks really great, lots of great capabilities! But I noticed when I do the text overlay, and choose the recording date, the date it is displaying is the current date, (grabbing from my pc), not the date the video was actually recorded. I've read through the help files, but can't seem to find a way to get it to display the actual date of the recording. (Sorry, I don't mean to ask for support for your product through this forum, just thought I'd mention it)
    Quote Quote  
  17. It shouldn't be - using the current time is an option but should be disabled by default. Make sure the embedded data processing option is not turned on. In the meantime I'll look into it.

EDIT - I've just double checked the version up on the server and it behaves correctly. When you connect to the camcorder and play the tape what do the time/date show in the display below the video? (No need to do anything else - the input window is always live).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    It shouldn't be - using the current time is an option but should be disabled by default. Make sure the embedded data processing option is not turned on. In the meantime I'll look into it.

EDIT - I've just double checked the version up on the server and it behaves correctly. When you connect to the camcorder and play the tape what do the time/date show in the display below the video? (No need to do anything else - the input window is always live).
    I'm so stupid, I'm sorry I made you do all that troubleshooting. The other day I was testing with a tape that was about 3 years old, so I was expecting to see a date in 2005 or 2006. But my wife has since then put in a different tape, one that was recorded on only yesterday, so when I was recording the tape in, I saw 03/31/09. Not realizing that today was the first of April, I was thinking it was showing the current date. But it was working all along. So again I apologize, this is a great little product you've got here, thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  19. That's a relief - I was rather worried.

Seems quite ironic that it should be on April 1st
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    That's a relief - I was rather worried.

Seems quite ironic that it should be on April 1st
    Uh, yeah, that's what I meant, april fools! Just kidding, thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PLEASE post dv stuff in our DV camcorder section. Moving you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, and I've fought myself over that time and time again, because these are videos of my kids, and know that sometime 10 years down the road I'm going to want to use some of this footage in a wedding video or something, but I just don't want to risk losing the date data.
    Capture with WinDV, and then the filename itself includes the date and the time for each clip.

e.g. DV.1998-08-01_11-45-58 005.avi is a clip from my tape number 005, recorded at 11:45 in the morning on the 1st August 1998.

The filename template can be almost anything - there's a drop down menu, and you can add what you want.

I don't think filenames will cause a problem with "...I don't want to have to rely on some outdated software or OS to read the date codes" - if you have the files, you have the filenames!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    Capture with WinDV, and then the filename itself includes the date and the time for each clip.

e.g. DV.1998-08-01_11-45-58 005.avi is a clip from my tape number 005, recorded at 11:45 in the morning on the 1st August 1998.

The filename template can be almost anything - there's a drop down menu, and you can add what you want.

I don't think filenames will cause a problem with "...I don't want to have to rely on some outdated software or OS to read the date codes" - if you have the files, you have the filenames!

Cheers,
    David.
    Well, that's not really going to work. Most of the tapes I'm recording have multiple takes from different dates, so there's no way to effectively capture the dates for each scene in just the name of the file. And I'm not recording each scene to it's own separate file.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    PLEASE post dv stuff in our DV camcorder section. Moving you!
    Sorry man, how's a guys supposed to know where to put a post like this one. It's about capturing video, not about the dv camcorder itself. This seemed like the best most logical forum to place it in.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    It shouldn't be - using the current time is an option but should be disabled by default. Make sure the embedded data processing option is not turned on. In the meantime I'll look into it.

John,
    One more question, this might be a bug, might not, but it's kind of bugging me. I posted this on the forum on your site, but wasn't sure how often that gets looked at.

Anyway the problem is now that if I allow the tape to capture all the way to the end of the tape, and the tape stops BEFORE I'm able to stop the capture process, then file is messed up. By that I mean that when you try to play the file, it looks as if it is only 2 minutes long. Say, in Windows Media Player, if I play the file, the little time slider only shows 2 minutes long, but after the slider reaches the end, the video continues to play to it's full length. So the size of the video is as expected, about 16GB, and the video is actually the right length, but after 2 minutes, you can't control the video with the slider. You can't fast forward or anything like that.

However, if I stop the capture process BEFORE stopping the tape or letting the tape run through to the end, then all is well, and the slider bar accurately shows the correct time for the video. Did I make sense?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Odd...I posted a reply on Monday - do you get sent notifications? Anyway, here's what I said:

Do you mean that the file contains all of the video up to the end of the recorded portion of the tape?

What happens if you open one of the "2 minute" files in our software? What does the progress bar on the left-hand side do? Can you scrub it to the true end of the file?

BTW, if you are capturing to Type-2, the bar may not move at all.
    I'll try to reproduce the problem. It could be a DirectShow quirk - the MS filter that does the job of creating the AVI file from the incoming audio/video (AVI Mux) is (in)famous for its annoyances with developers.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Odd...I posted a reply on Monday - do you get sent notifications? Anyway, here's what I said:

Do you mean that the file contains all of the video up to the end of the recorded portion of the tape?

What happens if you open one of the "2 minute" files in our software? What does the progress bar on the left-hand side do? Can you scrub it to the true end of the file?

I'll try to reproduce the problem. It could be a DirectShow quirk - the MS filter that does the job of creating the AVI file from the incoming audio/video (AVI Mux) is (in)famous for its annoyances with developers.
    Hm, I thought I had set it to send replies to my email, but maybe not. No biggie. Anyway, I'm using Type-1. I haven't tried playing the video in your software. I'll give that a try when I get home tonight and let you know what happens. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="frankmaster100"][quote="2Bdecided"]
    And I'm not recording each scene to it's own separate file.
    Why not?!

(You do realise it's automatic, don't you?)

I suppose it depends what you want to do with it. If you're not intending to do any editing at all, then I guess multiple files are a problem for going from one miniDV tape to one DVD.

However, if you are going to edit (and I can't imagine many home movies that wouldn't benefit from some editing!), then you can just drop the whole lot on the time line in one go, and delete the scenes you don't want as a first editing step - separate files makes this part much easier!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  29. [quote="2Bdecided"][quote="frankmaster100"]
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    And I'm not recording each scene to it's own separate file.
    Why not?!

(You do realise it's automatic, don't you?)

I suppose it depends what you want to do with it. If you're not intending to do any editing at all, then I guess multiple files are a problem for going from one miniDV tape to one DVD.

However, if you are going to edit (and I can't imagine many home movies that wouldn't benefit from some editing!), then you can just drop the whole lot on the time line in one go, and delete the scenes you don't want as a first editing step - separate files makes this part much easier!

Cheers,
    David.
    Well first off I'm not planning on archiving these to DVD. I'm archiving them on the hard drive. I've done it to DVD's in years past, and they have gone bad and are since skipping. I've realized that the only way to fully preserve these things at full quality is to keep them on a drive, and keep them moving from drive to drive. So I'm setting up some mirrored drivews to archive our home videos.

But I'm getting off topic. I do realize that it can do each scene automatically, but you gotta realize that these tapes contain tons of different scenes, some of them only 10 to 30 seconds long. I'd like to keep a clean set of videos for each drive. But I can definitely see the benefits of having each scene on it's own file, so I'll have to look into that.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by frankmaster100
    Odd...I posted a reply on Monday - do you get sent notifications? Anyway, here's what I said:

Hm, I thought I had set it to send replies to my email, but maybe not. No biggie. Anyway, I'm using Type-1. I haven't tried playing the video in your software. I'll give that a try when I get home tonight and let you know what happens. Thanks!
    John,
    I tried playing the file in your software, the slider was able to scrub correctly to the end of the video.
    Quote Quote