VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Morning all, I am, a complete newbie to this so please bear with me if my jargon is a little dated.

Problem - I have connected my PC, a Dell 5150 with a Geforce 6600GT to my TV using a DVI to HDMI cable along with two audio cables. The screen on the TV (a 32" flat screen) has now acquired a strange green colour that I cannot remove from the PC side. The green only occurs when the HDMI channel is selected. It is not always green, just when the PC image appears, which it does, but all greenish. I would like to ask if anyone knows how to remove this problem, it is f*****g irritating and I can't watch any of the films I have on my PC.

thanks

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must be an apprentice saint with that closing comment ...

Is it a completely green screen with no other image or text? Or is everything just a shade of green? Maybe just green and yellow?

Make sure your video card is set to something the HDMI port can handle. I'd start with 1280x720 60Hz. Check your manual for acceptable settings.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything is OK with just a shade of green overlayed over the image. The screen is set to 1024*768 at 60 Hz.

My saintly status is still pending with the big man!

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use a standard HDTV resolution. 1280x720 or 1920x1080 at 50 Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timmythesaint
    Everything is OK with just a shade of green overlayed over the image. The screen is set to 1024*768 at 60 Hz.
    What make/model is the TV? Though an HDTV standard like 1280x720 should work you should use the native resolution for the TV. And, make sure you have it set to pixel mode or whatever the equivalent is for your set.

Originally Posted by timmythesaint
    My saintly status is still pending with the big man!
    Wouldn't lying about sainthood automatically disqualfy you?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  6. Don't count on anything other than standard HDTV resolutions and frame rates to work via HDMI. Once you have verified that everything is working properly you can try other resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Don't count on anything other than standard HDTV resolutions and frame rates to work via HDMI. Get that working first, then try other resolutions if you want.
    What would the cable type have anything to do with it? Or, are you referring to the HDMI port on the TV?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by neomaine
    What would the cable type have anything to do with it? Or, are you referring to the HDMI port on the TV?
    Many HDTVs will only accept standard resolutions and refresh rates via HDMI. They typically accept a wider range of resolutions and refresh rates via VGA.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The PC is DVI output from the GeForce card and the TV is a HDMI input so I got the DVI output to HDMI input cable. Unfortunately the minimum graphic card screen speed is 60 Hz. Any suggestions?

Tim (status still pending).
    Quote Quote  
  10. My guess is 1280x720 at 60 Hz will be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, just curious, are the HDMI settings the same in PAL land?
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's not really a matter of HDMI abilities, it's the ability of the TVs. But I believe HD PAL has retained the same 50 Hz legacy from SD PAL. For example, you see 50/100 Hz advertised for the new HDTVs in Europe, whereas you see 60/120 Hz in the USA.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I finally bit the bullet yersterday and ordered a DVI to VGA cable. That should arrive tomorrow (Friday) and we can give that a whirl. I am a bit annoyed that the HDMI cable doesnt work properly. All my pissing about with the PC has caused a lot of swearing and throwing of things. My 3 year old son has really had a lesson in how not to behave!
    Let's see how things work in VGA country.

Thanks for all your input so far,

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  14. Did you try a different DVI/HDMI cable? Different HDMI inputs on the TV or another TV? Different DVI output on the computer? These are all obvious troubleshooting steps.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hello all,

well the plot thickens. Now I have a perfect image from the PC to the TV (my DVI - VGA cabel arrived) but now I have no audio, through the TV. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I have a SigmaTel Audio card in the machine and appear to have connected the cables (1 out from the PC to two into the TV) but not even a twitter. I am getting a little frustrated with my latest project. Any words of wisdom. You have all helped a great deal and for that I thank you.

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  16. Some cards have connections that can be configured as inputs or outputs via the setup applet. Make sure yours is configured correctly.

If you have more than one output you may have to configure your speaker setup too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. green is healthy for your eyes
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hello all,

I have now connected the audio cables through the hedaphone socket on the PC - AND IT ALL WORKS! Nice. Thanks for all your input. It was truly appreciated.

Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the TV HDMI input, you MUST read the manual to see if PC connection is supported and at which frame rates and resolutions. Many PC display chips fail to provide a true 1920x1080i/25fps or 1280x720p/50fps over DVI-D. You may have better luck feeding 1080i/25 over analog component.

HDTV sets with VGA (PC/Game port) are more forgiving on frame rate (60Hz typ) and offer a selection of VESA type resolutions. VGA out is always progressive. Deinterlace happens in the display card. Feed the TV at display native resolution for the sharpest picture.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote