VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can I capture/copy DV directly to DVD MPEG2?
    Yes, using for example Ulead DVD MovieFactory or Mainconcept MPEG Encoder but you need a really fast computer.
    Or
    Use a desktop DVD Recorder with firewire/DV input and record directly to DVD-Video on DVD media.

(ripped out of FAQ)

I just wonder if this is up to date? Any additional software that I should be aware of? I have 60min DV-tapes that I wish to backup (paranoid of a huge UFO-like magnet around the corner suddenly wiping all tapes). I would much appreciate being able to skip the ->DVAVI step. I was just about to drop the topic but decided to check the FAQ first. Also, I would much appreciate if someone could specify "a really fast computer" a little bit more. I have a Celeron 2,6GHz w. 1GB DDR and S-ATA hdd. Will this cut it for me? And like I said, if anyone has any idea of other software than those two apps mentioned in FAQ, I would be happy as a weasel.

Regards,,
    Drop dead gorgeous!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Generally, realtime software encoding of DV from a camcorder to MPEG/DVD isn't as good as a slow conversion from a DV AVI captured in a separate step. Shortcuts are taken make sure the computer can keep up with the video frames arriving at the firewire port every 1/25 of a second. A 2.6 GHz Celeron is probably borderline. DVD recorders use dedicated hardware MPEG encoding chips that can do a little better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also you are restricted to single pass encoding. DV generally benefits from 2-pass encoding unless you are keeping the bitrates very high (8500 +).

If you seriously want to cap. DV directly to DVD you are better off getting a DVD recorder with firewire in. Otherwise cap as DV on the PC and encode to the best quality you can get.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote